Darker in the letters

How can I make inside the engraved part darker?

Without information how to reach this result it is not easy. How deep is it physically in wood with the settings you have used? What kind of wood is it … A closer line distance is one option, another is cross-hatch, which takes longer but often gives good results.
By the way, I think your current result looks very nice. Darker lines mean that the material burns more, it gives more soot and ash. Some types of wood tend to turn light brown when engraved or cut, this is usually what you go for, but you want it darker :flushed:… but try another type of wood just to test the effect.

On a recent job I found that the best way to get darker engraving was to up the DPI to 400 and decrease the laser power slightly to avoid over burning. But as Bernd says, the type of wood makes a big difference. I found Oak worked well and Lime (Bass wood in the USA) if you want a nice white background

Cheers

David

As @bernd.dk said - with out knowing what wood / what laser / what settings, we’re guessing in the dark…

The fact that you are already burning into the wood, I would expect that you won’t get it darker by burning, it will only go deeper and start wrecking your text quality. One way to enhance the burn is to use a material that will darken the wood naturally, like finishing oil, or even dyed finishing oil, dripped into each of the letters and let it soak in. The problem with this is that it will bleed into the grain of the wood and make lines along the grain where you haven’t ‘printed’.

A trick to hide this is to finish the board first with a sealer. This will limit how much of your coloring will come to the surface. Then, burn the text into the board (through the sealer), and then apply the darkening oil. You will have to experiment with this since you’re using finish in ways that it is normally used.

Having said all that, it might be sufficient just to apply a finish to the whole board and the burnt areas will darken much more than the surface wood.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

As the question did not restrict the parameters to the laser, one option you have is to mask the work before engraving. Use a substance with a good grip. After engraving, one can apply spray paint, acrylic art paint, or just about anything that sets the color you desire.

If you apply sanding sealer and sand it smooth before masking and engraving, you can also use stain to provide the color.

I reference the masking good grip, as it’s necessary to keep the color from creeping under the edges. One can sand away what little might sneak in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.