Default value for offset

I use the Offset tool frequently, and vary between using large offsets (for creating borders) and small offsets on a fairly compex shape (to increase the thickness of a long narow shape).

My problem is that when I go from making a large offset, when I then select the narrow, intricate object and open the offset tool, it defaults to trying to offset it by a large amount, which is quite computationally difficult as it tries to work out all the merges etc. it will need to conduct. Offsetting the intricate shape by a small amount is no problem, it seems to be as the intricate shapes merge into each other with large offset values that the issue comes.

I understand this is probably inherent to the offset tool, however the annoyance is when i oepn the offste tool and it imediately tries to apply the large offset I previously used, causing the program to crash.

Is there a way to either not show the offset as a preview, preventing the crash, or change the persistant ffset distance to 0 each time you open the tool (although I can see that would be annoying to people doing reeat offset operations)

The program should never crash, especially for something like this…

I suggest you send it to support with all the information …

Maybe @JohnJohn can give you some help on anything else you should include with the report…

:smile_cat:

You can edit the prefs.ini file and change the value of “OffsetDistance” to 0. Not real elegant, but it works.

Thank you for reporting this. LightBurn shouldn’t crash.

I’d like to reproduce the behavior and get this into testing.
Would you be willing to share a file that I can test on?

If you’re reluctant to share it publicly, please let me know and I’ll open a private message.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.