Delrin.. Did you know? Some maybe.. most not .. look for what glue you need and how to...🗜

not Familiar with it? Maybe it’s something you need and did not know that you need… :sun_with_face:

Description:

Delrin® acetal homopolymer (Polyoxymethylene POM) is the ideal material in parts designed to replace metal. It combines low-friction and high-wear resistance with the high strength and stiffness such applications require. It provides a wide operating temperature range (-40 °C to 120 °C) and good colorability. Delrin® also mates well with metals and other polymers and offers excellent dimensional stability in high precision molding.

DELRIN® Sheets and Delrin Rods have many of the same characteristics of industrial metals such as brass, aluminum, zinc & stainless steel. Typical properties include stiffness, dimensional stability, impact resistance, and structural strength. Delrin® 150 is standard general purpose, unfilled acetal. This grade has the best impact toughness of all unfilled Delrin products.

This is used in corporate seal molds for embossing. But seems to make a great substitute for metal.

Show us your finished pieces using Delrin.

It’s laser engravable safe. Trotec sells it but it’s not proprietary to them it’s a DuPont product.

I’m surprised I don’t see it used more. I’m sure cost has a lot to do with it but having the ability to have something with the strength of metal is very alluring.

Cheers

Sasquatch

I know Delrin.
Also called POM. Often used as cutting boards in the food industry.
Also great to make makers marks for leatherworkers.

I have a plate laying around that I want to experiment with… after rubber stamps… round objects and whatever else is in the way :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Short for Polyoxymethylene

Delrin is my favorite engineering plastic. I think anyone coming from a CNC background is probably going to be familiar with it. I just did my first laser tests with Delrin today, but I’ve been machining it for years and it machines very nicely and has good lubricity which makes it nice for bushings and bearings and such.

Can you show me a few results of your tests?
I am thinking of making stamps or something with Delrin (leather)

it’s a DuPont product

Also search for acetal as a generic name at a lower price.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is that it doesn’t like common methods of gluing/fusing.

This is the method I use

This Glue is amazing

https://amzn.to/2Yvy9gU

Cheers

Sasquatch

I like Gorilla glue because the superglue is gel-based, which flows a lot more slowly than the regular liquid-based super glue. This glue is very easy to apply on whatever surface you’re gluing together without running or dripping. The formula is also infused with rubber to make the gel thicker and improve its already excellent bonding strength.