Designing projects while Lightburn runs a different project

can you be running a project on lightburn and still design another project while your waiting. If so is it accomplished.

You can open a second (third, fourth…) window:

ok, thank you. Guess I never looked at that or even knew what it means. Learning all the time.

You’re welcome. I’m pretty sure that once you’ve started the job running on your laser you can actually just open another design in the same window but I prefer the ‘New Window’ method.

1 Like

Small addition: in earlier versions, the “new window” option is missing, but you still can just start another instance of LightBurn (better to speak: as many as desired) through Explorer or Taskbar.

I found out that the laser wont move until you close the active window. The project was done and I attempted to move the laser to set origin, wouldn’t respond until I closed the active window.

You can have many instances of LB running, but only ONE can connect to the laser. And if you connected to one laser in one of the windows, the connection is blocked for the other instances, until you close it. This mechanism really makes sense since it protects the active connection :slight_smile:
So if you want to control the laser, always go back to the original window.

1 Like

Sorry to step in.
Do not need to close active window, just change the com port in active window.

1 Like

That’s correct(ish) but I thought you just wanted to work on a second design while the other was running (as per the thread subject), not attempt to control the laser from the second instance when the first instance was still connected. I should have pointed out (as @misken has) that you can only have one instance connected at one time. Either closing the first instance or disconnecting the first instance (as @parsec showed) will allow you to control from the second instance.