Desktop not talking to laser through Ethernet cable

Hello – NEW CONNECTION PROBLEM
Monport has recommended I contact you on this— because Rich (the tech support guy ) has taken me as far as he could and can not figure out what’s wrong.

I bought a desktop, downloaded Lightburn then tried to connect with an ethernet cable. Didn’t work. Rich got on and got me set up but then there was still a problem of no DEVICE window. He told me to get a new cable which I did. I thought I was good because the DEVICE window opened and it had MONPORT 80. Great! Made a square and tried to send it and got the "TRANSFER FAILED. . . . .BUSY or PAUSED - so still can NOT operate this laser with the desktop. Rich said next step was for you to advise. Please help. I have issues with the USB connection making little issues when engraving. Rich said it was from the USB and laptop. And I have a large job coming up in the next 2 days and can not keep redoing work. Thank you!!

It would be of great benefit to us if we knew the Model Number on the Ruida Controller. It’s usually on a sticker on the box inside the Laser engraver.

LightBurn has a Device Settings window.

I’m not connected with this computer, so this doesn’t prove connection.

Were you using RDworks to set it up on your home network?

I would have thought that the Ruida should be plugged into your router or ‘switch’.

I have remoted into Debbie’s computer twice trying to configure the laser. It is a direct connection via Ethernet to her computer and the IP configuration is correct. I have literally done dozens of these remote setups without issue.

The Ruida device is created, configured and ready in Lightburn, however, it does not make the network connection when the device connection wizard finishes. I’m suggesting to Debbie to bypass the cabinet hub and plug directly into the controller to eliminate one more suspect from the equation. This is truly a very odd situation, since the machine does operate via USB.

2 Likes

How do you know this is talking? Can you see the laser with one of your network tools?

Don’t be offended, I need to start somewhere. I run Linux, so I have a slightly different toolbox…

Have you moved it to some other network domain …? What IP is it set to?

:smile_cat:

I’m not familiar with this controller but I believe typically when one try’s to connect directly from one device to another rather than going through a switch or router you’d need a cross over cable instead of a patch cable? Which are you using?

In network terms, yes. In practical terms most modern ethernet devices include auto MDI-X which will automatically detect cable type and adjust accordingly. All gigabit+ devices and many 10/100 Mbit devices.

The only issue is that this isn’t all devices so would need to determine that.

Medium-dependent interface - Wikipedia

Got one of these I just saw the other day… Last time I used it was before the turn of the century…

I used to plug the Ruida directly into the Ubuntu Ethernet connection… no issues…

Keep in mind:

1. operates UDP/IP
  2. No DHCP support, it’s IP is static
  3. You need to set your Ethernet port to the lan of the Ruida…

It pings fine.

If it pings fine, it must be alive and talking…

The only thing I can think of is to double check the IP addresses that you have set up along with the protection settings for the port… oh yea, any malware/firewall protection that is running…

Might see if it’ll run in an elevated privilege mode… on Linux, that’s a good indicator it’s a security issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.