Diode Laser stops firing intermittently, 5 seconds later is starts again

I’m trying to cut through 4mm plywood using YoraHome 80Watt diode laser. My setting is 10in/min with power at 85%. The cut starts fine but after a while the laser stops for 5 seconds and then starts again, while the X and Y axis’s are going on merrily. Am I trying with the power too high and there’s an automatic small cool down period? Or is it time for a new laser??

That seems likely, as the description for that monster says:

Take advantage of routine cooldown stages during long projects, as this will help prevent overheating. We recommend 15mn cool down every 30mn of laser running

Given the usual overoptimistic diode laser claims, perhaps the laser cannot run for more than a few minutes at higher powers without an overtemperature shutdown.

However, if it’s running from a separate 12 V power supply, the supply may be either defective or just inadequate, so it turns itself off for a few seconds.

If it’s new, you may find out how well their “unbeatable 40 Day Guarantee” works in real life.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.