DIY 1390 - AWC708C - won't fire laser

Very little time this week, but I did download the latest firmware from Trocen and updated. Testing over the weekend.

I’m more than a little disappointed with Light Object tech support. When I pressed for info, I got this response:

“I have no clue of this issue”

Looks like I’m on my own.

I got back at it today. I opened the terminal box and repaired some bad solder. Tested the optos on the laser outputs and checked all the diodes.
Then I found the culprit!

2023-03-21 16.37.43

2023-03-21 16.37.51

Unbelievable! After metering the controller, power supply, laser power supply, all wiring etc…I found 4.8V at the TTL pin on the terminal board. When I plugged in the terminal block… NOTHING! Scrutinize the terminal and there it is. Total fail. Replaced the teminal, put all the wires back where they go and we have pulsing.

Of course, that wasn’t everything. The analog current meter is bad. So I bypassed that for now. I wired in my Fluke and dialed in for 25mA max on the brand new RECI 130W tube.

Lots of power now. Fine tuning the alignment. Cutting through 1/2" Birch in two passes.

Glad I found this. My next step was going to be wiring in the Ruida from my old Chinese heap.

1 Like

That definitely violates the principle of least surprise.

I recall somebody installed a 30 A meter instead of a 30 mA meter: the needle probably twitched, but being off by a factor of 1000 definitely wasn’t useful. A digital multimeter will show the difference: if the meter’s resistance is a fraction of an ohm, it’s intended for tens of amps, not tens of milliamps.

Go make some smoke!

1 Like

I ordered a digital meter. Should have gone that route from the start.

Cutting Birch at will.

The only anomaly I’m seeing now is with framing. I create a basic shape in LB, press frame and it only move in one axis. Press frame again, laser head moves in next axis only. For a square, I press 4 times to complete framing. Never seen this before.

The problem with digital meters is they have to sample periodically, so you can miss useful data.

An analog meter doesn’t have this issue and is why most of us use analog meters…

The digital meter that came with mine is pretty useless. I’d suggest an analog meter.

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.