I’m out of ideas on this one. I built a 1300x900 machine using Light Object parts. Everything tests correctly and works fine, except firing the laser. It fires using the test button on the power supply. But not from the control panel button. I can not make TTL voltage go LOW to pulse the laser.
I also have a Light Object Legend 1290 60 watt machine. It uses the same X7 controller. I backed up the software from this device and loaded it on the new X7. I have installed the new X7 in the Legend and everything works perfectly. I installed the X7 from the Legend ion the 1390 build and no laser.
The water flow sensor drives WP on the power supply to 0V, as expected.
I’ve spent time on the phone with Light Object support and they are also out of ideas.
All parameters in the controller are set correctly and have been checked, switched, returned to correct etc.
I’m connected to Lightburn via ethernet. No issues. Programs run correctly, the laser just doesn’t fire.
The only wiring difference on the Legend is the open door sensor, wired to IN 1. I have grounded IN 1 on the new build with no change.
I installed LaerCAD 7.98 and 8. something. Both connect to the X7, but no changes have affected the issue.
I’m stuck on a bus today. And it broke down. We’re waiting on a new bus…
So, what settings in software could create this odd situation? I’m going from memory, forgive me. I know only one laser was enabled. Even when the TTL output of laser 2 was controlling the laser.
I’m glad it works now, but it doesn’t reconcile that it works as normal in the Legend.
I recall that the Legend controller has firmware 1.2 something. While the DIY has 1.19 something. I’ll update this when I get back in the shop.
I selected parts that are used on the Legend for this new build specifically so I would have a working example to compare to and interchangeable software. Only the range settings should be different. 1200x900 on the Legend and 1300 x 900 on the DIY.
Paging through the AWC708C manual, there are some weird things (page 98-ish) about multiple laser heads, where Laser 2 can automatically continue if Laser 1 stops for whatever reason. I wonder if there’s a glitch where, even with multiple heads turned off, having the sub-options set causes what you’re seeing.
That would certainly violate the principle of least surprise, but it’d be worth reviewing the actual settings to verify they’re as neutral as you can make them.
I’m back in the shop, catching up after being away. I reached out to Light Object and let them know I need resolution on this. I know it’s something fluky. I don’t have time to crack the terminal board open and start tracing voltages at each opto to sort it out.
I did notice the new X7 has older firmware. I’ll update that.
I need to move on to alignment, calibration, belt tension and so on.
I backed up the software from the Legend and loaded it onto the new X7. The Legend is one head and works correctly, so you would think the settings would be correct. Yet, here we are.
I’ll be sure to post here when it is ultimately sorted.