Does Lightburn have markers (for placing multiple jobs)?

I have a Thunder Nova 51 using Lightburn software. I also have a Trotec that uses JobControl software. In JobControl, there is a feature where I can position the laser head, hit F8 to place a marker and do that numerous times for material on the workbed. Then I position cut jobs on those markers so the laser knows where to go start multiple jobs.

For example, if you were engraving coasters and you randomly placed 10 on the bed, you could position your laser head on the centre of each, place a marker and then place 10 engrave jobs at those markers. The laser then completes each job in sequence.

Is there a compatible feature in Lightburn?

There may be some subtlety to the JobControl workflow that I’m missing but there’s no direct analogue to that in LightBurn as far as I know.

You could, however, mimic this fairly easily I would think.

1. Create as many instances of the coaster that you would want in LightBurn
  2. Place coasters randomly on laser bed
  3. Move the laser to center of one of the coasters
  4. Select one of your coaster instances, then Arrange->Move Selected Objects->Move to laser Position
  5. Repeat for the number of coasters that you have
  6. Make sure you’re working in Absolute Coords mode and run the job

The potential challenge in this is making sure that the graphic aligns properly. In the case of a round coaster this could be easily remedied by having a circular tool shape around the entirety of the design.

1 Like

The closest thing I can think of is the Ruida Multi origin option… It only does 4, not an unlimited amount…

:smile_cat:

I’ll give this a try next time I’m working with multiple pieces on the bed. But thinking it through, I suspect this would work.

1 Like

I just successfully did this, although I used a bit of a different approach.

1. Place multiple objects in Lightburn using array tool.
  2. Selected one object, clicked Move Laser to Upper Left of Selection.
  3. Move my material to the laser position (upper left corner of material).
  4. Repeat for all objects.
  5. Start job on Absolute Coords

I did it this way since my objects weren’t round and finding centre would be hard. But it’s basically the same idea.

Thanks for the idea!

1 Like

Awesome news. Glad you have a workflow that gets you what you need and thanks for sharing so others can benefit.