Dog on Black Marble

Looks great! It looks like it was screen printed :slight_smile: I’ve never tried engraving an image on marble, does it feel coarse or smooth where it’s engraved? I mostly use 50% power to score lines on the marble and there’s a lot of dust afterwards :slight_smile:

Somewhat coarse. Marble seeme to engrave much better than granite for me. Gives a very white mark.

I’ve had the same experience with granite. Marble engraves way better.

What’s the reason of setting speed to slower speed vs 300

And when you set the power that low 18percwnt I would have thought the picture would be very light. I set mine to 40 and it’s still light.

I have a long ways to go to get my pictures to look as good as yours mine always seem faded

Hi @Racekar711,

Have you ever done a test pattern on your substrate that you are trying to engrave?. There are so many variables that would make your engraving light. One of the surest ways to “dial in” your burn is with a test pattern.

Here is where you get the file

Some of the variables to the density of the burn are, dirty lens, loss of power from your laser, density of the wood, air assist and many more.

Give the test file a try in the substrate you are trying to engrave and it should be able to shine some light on your challenge.

Cheers

Sasquatch

What material is that?

Kind of looks like Cedar or Alder based on the texture of the growth rings.

Sas

What’s the rationale for a slower engraving speed like 100 versus 300

Watch this video read the subtitles the guy speaks in Chinese but the content is good. This concept applies to all lasers . Obviously he is pimping his brand…

It’s better if you visually see it but basically faster is lighter slower is deeper burn and darker.

Sasquatch

For me it’s the fact that I want to stay between 10-18% power. That’s what gives me the best results. If I pushed the speed up then I’d have to push the power up.

Laser engraving is all about matching speed and light pressure (power).

Why wouldn’t you want to run as fast as you can?

You do want to run as fast as you can. As fast as you can WHILE staying at the power setting that will give you the smallest, darkest/lightest dot for engraving. If you’re just trying to fill a vector shape with engraving then crank up the power and go as fast as you can. Photos are a different beast.

Watch Russ videos

Beautiful Vizsla. I lost my boy 3 days ago. Still can’t process it.

Came here looking for info how to do a portrait. Thank you for the information!