Double to single line feature

Not sure if I’m suggesting this on the right place but I’m sure a ton of us users would be absolutely overjoyed if there was a trace feature that would turn thin double lines into single lines. I’m not sure if it’s even possible but I have a lot of fonts in my computer that are very small that will be fantastic as lines but obviously are not. I know there are single line fonts that you can download but they don’t work with the program that I prefer to use for designing. It would work great too for when I want like a delicate floral engrave.

Doesn’t hurt to ask right?

1 Like

You are right that asking does not hurt. Unfortunately, this feature, also called centerline tracing, is very complicated to implement in the existing feature or too expensive for LightBurn to purchase a license for. So unless there is a third solution, it will not work, yet.

1 Like

Accordingly to the centerline line trace repository on GitHub ([Inkscape Centerline Trace Plug-In] GitHub - fablabnbg/inkscape-centerline-trace: A bitmap vectorizer that can trace along the centerline of a stroke. The builtin inkscape 'trace bitmap' can only trace edges, thus resulting in double lines for most basic use cases. It uses 'autotrace -centerline' and an optimal threshold to vectorize a pixel image. The centerline trace functionality is bundled with Inkscape 1.0 or higher.

Since Inkscape 1.0 the Autotrace library including the CenterlineTrace feature is integrated. That should obsolete this extension. Find an entry in the new Path -> Trace Bitmap dialog.

Also, with the Inkscape software being open source, there might be the possibility of re-using their code, etc. That said, please forgive the naïve assumptions that the code in Inkscape isn’t complex or problematic/time-consuming to integrate into LightBurn, and that code can be re-used without licensing or other legal considerations :slightly_smiling_face:. That said, I at least wanted to mention in case it could be helpful.

I also wanted to mention as using Inkscape to trace the image using the integrated centerline trace feature might provide an alternative for wcs40110.

Don

1 Like