DXF dashed line not recognized, Rhinoceros V 7 SR35

Lightburn 1.4.01, importing DXF exported from Rhino 7 (W10), a dashed line is treated as a solid line. Opened the DXF file in other apps and they parse the dashed line. (I’ve written DXF-related tools and I know it’s a real PITA.)
test-cut.dxf (159.7 KB)

File attached

There’s no such thing as a dashed line in LightBurn. Is there a semantic meaning to the dashed line? Or do you just need a broken line in LightBurn?

If so, is there a way to explode the dashed line into individual line segments before exporting or upon export?

The easiest way I can think of would be to enable ‘Perforation mode’ for that particular layer. You’ll need to fiddle with the cut and skip values (or you can calculate them).

Hope this helps.

I’ve opened that file with Adobe Illustrator and LibreOffice and they both parsed the LTYPE for DASHED as a series of lines. I’ll take a look at dxfgrabber – what we used on the lasersaur project for importing DXF files – and see how it handles this LTYPE.

thx, I’ll take a look next time I’m at the makerspace. I have a lot of models with dashed lines to deal with.

What’s the purpose of the dashed line? Is it to burn a perforated line? If so, @Marcus_Wakefield suggestion will work.

If it’s something semantic then there would be no direct analog in LightBurn. But you could use colors to differentiate.

Take a look at the Python script at this link. I tested it out in Rhino with your DXF file, and exported another DXF and it imported correctly into LB. After running script, you have to move the group of line segments back to the “etch line” layer. https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/equivalent-of-v4-labs-tools-explode-linetype/5675/5

Perforated line to mark different scoring areas of the target.

Wow, thanks! I’ve been thinking about writing a python script to do exactly that. Will test it and report back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.