Editing of existing files in Lightburn

How do I go about editing an existing file (which I purchased and downloaded)? I need to make a modification of the file to make the part fit my need.

What format is the existing file in?

If in .lbrn or .lbrn2 format then I’d suggest using File->Open, then navigate to file to open it.

If it’s .svg, .dxf, .ai or other non-native format then I’d suggest File->Import. The vector file will not have any Cuts / Layers data so you will need to define those appropriately. I’d suggest reviewing the settings even if original file is .lbrn assuming it was created with a different laser in mind.

Thanks for the quick response. The file is in .lbrn2 format. I have no issue opening the file. I just don’t know how to modify the actual file once I open it. I’m sure that there is a way to do it, I just don’t how. I simply need to edit the end of the shape in the file but I am not sure how to do that without wrecking the file. The file comes already set as a cut file but I am pretty sure I would have to convert it back to a line file to edit it. Is that assumption correct and if so, how do I accomplish that?

Take a full screenshot of LightBurn with the design loaded and a very detailed description or annotation of what you want to accomplish.

This will allow people here to understand what you’re facing and potential strategies for accomplishing your desired modification.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. A design will either be in vector or raster formats. If the original file was meant for cutting then it’s almost certainly a vector file already. There should be nothing else you need to do from that aspect.

As long as you Open the file and then use ‘Save As’ to create a copy with the edited version as your working file and the original will remain untouched.

Please show as @berainlb requests and we can go from there. :slight_smile:

I am attempting yo modify the right end of the top shape and the left end of the bottom shape.

In what way are you attempting to modify the shape? Meaning what is the specific change you want to introduce?

I need to eliminate the hole, shorten the overall length and make a " L" shaped slot. This is the same on both shapes (mirrior image) so if I can accomplish it in one shape I could mirror the entire shape for the other one and eliminate the original.

Actually, on further inspection I could not simply mirror the entire part, but I can modify each part separately…

Click hole, then push Delete on your keyboard. If the entire shape is selected when clicking the hole then first ungroup.

Depending on where the L shape needs to be positioned this could potentially be handle in a single operation.

I’d suggest using the Boolean Tools to accomplish this.

More information on how that works here.

Modifier Tools - LightBurn Software Documentation

I tried to select just the hole but it selects the entire shape. I’m not sure how ungroup just the hole. I tried when the entire shape was selected but it didn’t work.

ok I figured it out. Thanks so much.

Well, I thought I had it figured out but… I cant seem to ungroup things.

You can post the file and folks can take a look. :slight_smile:

its posted in a screemshot above

I may have missed this, but looking for you to post the LBRN file. I believe the image you posted is a screen capture and not the actual LightBurn file.

jig locking panels-ORIGINAL.lbrn2

1. Click on grouped object
  2. Arrange->Ungroup or CTRL-U

Seems there was a problem uploading the file. Drag and drop to the form editor or push the upload icon and navigate to the file to be uploaded.

Once you do that, make sure that the upload is complete before pushing the “Reply” button.

1 Like

The file did not load here, just the name.

You can drag and drop in this editor or use the Upload button. image

I can’t send you the file as it is copyrighted and I have paid the fee for its use. The screenshot is the entirety of the file’s content. I have already burned the file and it works perfectly for it intended use. However, I need to modify the file (as explained earlier in this thread). I just can’t seem to figure out how to ungroup the items. I have already tried the ungroup button and the keyboard shortcut. Im’ trying to modify this file because the author doesn’t yet have a fikle for my machine.