Enclosure safety status active or not

Hi,

I could not find an indication if the enclosure safety feature is activated or not. I know one can try it, but it would be a nice feature if it was visible in the GUI.

Thanks and kind regards
Franz

As far as I know… grbl controllers do not have a specific way to detect a door open situation. The co2 models wire a series loop through the door and coolant switches to disable the lps. This doesn’t stop the controller from continuing with the rest of the machines operations.

Some are wired to the home switches, which become limit switches after a successful home or boot. Neither is a good way to handle these types of errors.

Neither of these setups can been seen via any software there or not, at least without more information from Snapmaker.

My Ruida (dsp type) has settings internally to en/disable these inputs and can be read by Edit → Machine Settings. As can your grbl configuration.

I don’t know how Snapmaker detects a cover as it appears it just sits over the top of the machine. This is something I don’t think is really defined in grbl…

Maybe @berainlb could help us out here… he know much more about grbl machines that I…

Hang in there…

Hi Jack,

many thanks for your help. The manual says it is a Hall sensor. It ist placed directly in the door of the enclosure. Works fine with Luban and can be activated/deactivated in the software.

Maybe you get more details of the new versions from snapmaker during the next weeks.

Again many thanks for your support.

Kind regards
Franz

GRBL controllers do have safety door enable pins on GPIO and seen by controller and therefore the software (usually by console messages and warnings)
The question is are they enabled or not in snapmaker firmware

Where are these seen by Lightburn, what I’m calling the software?

Two of my grbl machines are Arduino based and two are 32 bit machines… I don’t know of any standard implementation of a door protection on these… or how it could/would be coded within Lightburn…

I have no doubt they can or are implemented, but I don’t know how they are doing this.

Maybe you can enlighten me?

:smile_cat:

Door safety is able to be compiled as a feature with plenty of options since grbl 1.1
GRBLHal and other variants expanded from that

New safety door parking motion as a compile-option. Grbl will retract, disable the spindle/coolant, and park near Z max. When resumed, it will perform these tasks in reverse order and continue the program. Highly configurable, even to add more than one parking motion. See config.h for details.

Most of the behavior is firmware based to Lightburn should have no necessity to interact, except indicate that the controller is in “hold” state.
Open door → it pauses (and does other things depending on config)
Close door → it resumes

I am unsure if LightBurn has any ability to read this specific hold door command and do something with it but considering its fully compatible with GRBL commands and responses, i would imagine it could be possible if not yet present.

What many brands do is, because they have other external hardware, they use “plugins” /functions features outside GRBL to control this external features even if - the fundamentals - are in the GRBL firmware.

So the way the machine reports door vs how its reported via firmware might make it a custom function and not a common standard function

Thanks for the update… If it’s standard, I’d think they’d put it in Lightburn…

Haven’t seen anything in Lightburn to indicate there is a way to access a function or data for this.

Maybe @fle can tell us if he compiles his own controller firmware.

:smile_cat:

The door sensor on my two trees ts3 does work with lasergrbl, but not with lightburn.
I read that someplace, but do not remember where. I did try it, and that is the way it is.
Does not bother me at all. If it did work with lightburn I would be trying to find a way to disable it.
Every now and then, I will see something get blown on another part of the material and I want to put the glasses on, close my eyes and open the lid so I can blow it out of the way. It would probably get blown away anyway, but I don’t want to risk a UN-burnt dot if it was stuck on there.

Maybe @fle can tell us if he compiles his own controller firmware.

no I don’t compile my own firmware.

Kr Franz

You might want to do a search in forum - i cant find it - aparently there been a lot of changes on Firmware on Snapmaker lately. unsure if your machine would be in that but worth checking

The other question is what exactly would you like Lightburn to show/display/Do regarding door sensor?

Good morning Gil,

I will search for that, thank you.

I don’t really need this function as it works well without. I was just looking for all functions I knew from Luban in order to understand how they work with Lightburn.

It is a safety feature of the machine that it stops the Laser when you open the door. That is also required for getting the class 1 certification in Europe as far as I remember.

Thanks again and kind regards
Franz

thnaks Mike,

I agree, it is not really necessary if the user knows what he does.

Kind regards
Franz

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.