Engraving Differences Between CO2 and Fiber Lasers on Acrylic Mirror

Hello,

I have both a CO2 laser and a fiber laser. When engraving on an acrylic mirror with the fiber laser, it removes the entire layer and makes it fully transparent, whereas the CO2 laser engraves just enough for the light to pass through. While I appreciate the effect achieved by the CO2 laser and prefer its appearance, its speed doesn’t meet my requirements.

Is there a way to utilize the fiber laser without completely removing the entire back layer and making it transparent?

Thank you

I have neither a CO2 nor a Fiber laser, but I would thing you are dealing with different levels of power at the burn point. Like maybe the Fiber has a smaller dot size. In any case, it sounds like reduced power on the Fiber could be the solution.

1 Like

Acrylic is transparent to the 1064nM wavelength of your fiber. The co2 10600nM wavelength is not. This is creating the different results you are seeing.

Physics… I think it’s out of our hands…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

i also have CO2 and fibre… fibre laser does absolutely nothing to acrylic, so it stays transparent, while CO2 actually melts the acrylic

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.