Engraving on Birch Plywood

Okay,
Here is what I got. Still not sure what I am doing wrong. John I followed your steps. Maybe I got something wrong with what you said. Not sure.

Doug

1 Like

Have you tried this?

1 Like

I will give that a try. My speed is 1700 and power is 70. Good or not?

Doug

I canā€™t speak to that as I donā€™t do photos yet. But to me it looks like you need some more DPI.

Okay,
I guess I finally got very close to what I want. The only ting is the lines on the inside around the edge. Other than that I like it. Tell me what you think.

Doug

2 Likes

Personally? I like what you did here but if you added more DPI and had slightly better edges itā€™d be perfect, Just my opinion.

1 Like

I saw a hack on YouTube that said try using baking soda and water. Coat the area let dry then do the burn

Brent,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and it was to dark for what I needed. It works great tho.

Doug

1 Like

personally I think you nailed in the first pic you posted above when you nailed it. I think it is three pics up. The last two are dirty backgroundā€¦possibly need to up DPIā€¦just depends but the background is funky to me. I like your first success. Personally I take that on plywood all day longā€¦its woodā€¦its not like it is my Red River Polar Matte photo paperā€¦:slight_smile:
ā€œThe enemy of goodā€¦is betterā€¦ā€

Scott,
Unfortunately I lost the settings on that first photo. Also that burn was done in LaserGRBL. I think I saved the GRBL file but if I did I can not get it into LightBurn, at least I have found no way of importing it.

Doug

Baking Soad is the bomb for darker burns.

1 Like

Jody,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and it gives me to much of a dark burn and to much soot. Maybe I just canā€™t get all my settings to work together. My contrast and brightness settings have been up and down the scale and the gamma enhancement gave to much of a blurry edge.

Iā€™m just about to give up and lose the customer. This is the first time that I have tried doing a photo on wood and it has driven me crazy. I have already spent almost the amount on test boards than what the job will get me. I guess Iā€™m to OCD when it comes to my engravings.

Anyway thanks all for the help. It has been a journey. Iā€™m doing one last burn at the moment just to see if this one will be okay. Any help on speed and power will help also. Run dither, grayscale, jarvis or what. Iā€™ve tried them all.

Doug

1 Like

I happened to find an old test I did with the Baking Soda solution, I think with the right mixing ratio interesting effects can be achieved.

1 Like

Big difference. I have tried baking soda and it was just to dark for me and there was a lot of soot in the engrave and messed up the wood when I went to clean it.

Thanks for the idea and reply,
Doug

Well all,
I finally got it done. A lot of headaches and all that stuff. Tell me what you think.

Doug

3 Likes

I think the picture has become quite nice, congratulations. With your text on the wooden plate, I am ā€œnot so happyā€. Besides the fact that you have used a fair amount of power, I will also have made the actual text layout a little different, but that is of course a matter of taste. You have asked for our opinion and that is also only my subjective view. If you are interested in how I want to have made the text itself, then you can just upload your file here and I will come up with my suggestion.

Thanks for the reply Bernd. I was going on what the customer wanted and I always say that the customer is always right. The text was done at 50% power so it was okay and did not that that long. I donā€™t remember what the power setting was on the photo. The customer was real happy with this. It is a 14 inch charger that I got from Hobby Lobby on sale. The text itself is a text that came with Vintage Font Bundle.

Doug

This bundle? How do you like it?

I love it. I think it is worth the cost. I am just now learning Adobe Illustrator, but it works well in Photoshop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.