Engraving settings on Clear acrylic with a xTool D1

I am new to the laser world! I am loving it but it can be a bit frustrating. Can someone please let me know what are the setting for light burn to engrave clear acrylic with an xTool D1 laser

Blue diode lasers cannot directly engrave to clear acrylic as the material is transparent to the laser wavelength. There are some techniques that can be used to get a marking that involve heating an adjacent surface that then transfers or concentrates the heat to the acrylic. Typically this would be done by placing the acrylic onto a steel or aluminum plate. The laser would pass through the acrylic and get etched on the bottom surface. Depending on if you want the etching to be on the top or bottom surface of the finished product you may need to mirror the design.

You would need to experiment with settings depending on your conditions.

When you lase something the material has to absorb the energy for it to ‘damage’ the material in some way.

If the laser frequency easily passes though a material, you cannot engrave on it as the laser cannot excite the molecules (heat) and damage it.

You must use an ‘indirect’ heating method to damage the acrylic. You can find lots of these on the internet, but it’s common to place paper under the acrylic and lasing the paper heats the paper, and that heat damages the acrylic.

Metals reflect a high amount of energy off them and they are good ‘heat sinks’. Both attributes makes lasing them difficult without special lasers. I’d suggest something other than metal for the indirect heat method.

There have been a number of them claiming success using the ‘dull’ side of aluminum foil… cheap and something you could quickly and easily try…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

I’ve not tried clear acrylic yet with my d1, but I put a piece of light blue paper under 4mil(.004") clear mylar when I cut stencils. I have my power at 85, speed 30mm/sec and it takes 4 passes. I also have air assist on. When I tried to cut a 15mil(.015") piece with the same blue paper it was a total fail. I speculate if one used dark blue, black ,or maybe red- it may have better results for thicker materials.