Engraving starts going completely black

This is happening since last 2 engravings. For few minutes, the laser engraves perfectly then after that it starts engraving completely black and even after pressing the stop button on lightburn, laser stays stationery but the beam won’t turn off.
Somebody please help me. :pray:

In LightBurn click File, then click Save GCode and save that file somewhere convenient for you.

Then reply to this thread and drag that file into the reply box to upload it.

I’ll take a look at the GCode. If LightBurn doesn’t ask to turn off the laser it will be visible in the file. If the NeJe ignores the request to turn off the laser it could be communication or firmware obstacles.

1 Like

Can this be an issue of loose wire connections ? Because I removed the signal wire both from machine and laser and then plugged in again tightly and started engraving again and this time the engraving was done perfectly fine.

I would hope not. Ideally Laser equipment should fail into a non-active state. If a laser loses a signal it should (morally/ideally) shut off.

Apparently that is a legal FDA requirement which exactly zero consumer-grade lasers follow. One of the comments I got when I described my CO₂ laser power supply failing hot summed it up:

Quoth the FDA: “Safety interlocks to protect from Class IIIb or IV levels must also be redundant or fail-safe; if fail-safe, they must either prevent opening the housing in case they fail or they must be incapable of failing in a mode that would permit access.”

I think the impact / vibration sensors on some desktop lasers are a first step toward that requirement, although they’re usually disabled in short order to prevent accidental triggering from overenthusiastic acceleration settings.

Plus, the whole open-air lasing thing falls far short of a “housing”.

1 Like

I’m unable to upload gcode file here as it’s not allowed! I did around 15+ engravings one after another and every single was perfect but now again it started doing this! :frowning:

Please adjust the GCode file name to end with .txt
It should upload after that and then we’ll have more information to work with.

Gcode.txt (79.3 KB)
Here it is sir.

Also,

I’m using ortur’s board and neje’s module (N30820, [bought in march this year and driver changed in may{I mistakenly burnt the driver}] ) so I had a talk with NEJE Support and they said that "This is not a laser problem, but a signal control problem, You should contact OUTUR to see if there is a control failure ".

The GCode is showing that the art should be more than 100mm tall.

Also, near the end of the file there is a command
G1 S0
This command would turn the laser off for any move commands. (Until it’s commanded otherwise and it isn’t)

Static Electricity and vent fan electrical noise can cause data loss and erratic behaviour. Unplug the laser engraver head at the head itself and unplug any exhaust fan, air assist device any adjacent appliances then retest.

If the laser head ‘goes through the motions’ (more than 100mm in each direction according to the GCode) we may find the cause.

The file that I was engraving is 29.5 cm. high and 19.5 cm. wide.

There isn’t any such device near machine, just the machine and laptop.

You mean the 4pin wire that goes into the laser head ? Should I remove that one ? :sweat_smile:

I guess this is a bit more technical language for me to understand! Can you please explain it a bit easier ?

Sometimes a weak power supply will cause the controller to ‘brown-out’ and lose communication or it’s place in the job. Like when the lights flicker when a large appliance starts or if your neighbour is welding. That type of flicker from external sources can mess up communication as well.

Unplugging the engrave head will unload the power supply and the controller may complete the job. If the Job completes, it may demonstrate the power supply is weak.

Yes, that’s the one.

We should ask the Ortur controller for some information.
In the Console window in LightBurn please enter the following report requests:
$$
$i
$#
?
and press enter after each request. Please copy these into a reply here.

I didn’t see the almost 300mm Y-travel in the quick look at the GCode.
Please Confirm that the Rotary mode is disabled in LightBurn.
If it is inadvertently enabled it can compress an axis and cause confusing behaviour. A screen capture of the Whole LightBurn screen should show me if it is accidentally enabled.

@JohnJohn Did you open the Gcode in lightburn?

:rofl:
I just did…

2022-12-19_07-01-38 Licence issue

@Tr3vorOG

Please email Support@LightBurnSoftware.com and have your Licence Key ready.
There seems to be an issue with your Licence if this is the GCode output.

Did you download LightBurn from our download link?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.