Errors in LightBurn code

I am using version 1.4.05. I added an LED Cross Pointer to align the laser to the workspace. I used the “Enable Pointer Offset” so that I could link the Laser center with the work location.

Unfortunately, when I FRAME to see if the laser profiles the work correctly, the software does not include the Pointer Offset, so the framing is wrong. Also, if I want to activate FIRE to mark the laser location, I should be able to use the Pointer Offset as well…

I suggest that a Check Box be added next to FRAME and FIRE to included the Pointer Offset when required.

Next, I see that setting the Padlock to CLOSED does not force Height to follow Width as the Width is not exactly the same as Height.

If there is something I am missing, please advise me…thanks everybody.

Are you saying that you’re attempting to frame using the LED cross point as the reference point and it’s not working? If so, that’s unusual.

Can you explain what you mean by this? You would use one or the other for framing depending on whether or nor you have the Pointer Offset Enabled.

Are you referring to when changing width or height in the Numeric Edits Toolbar? The padlock is used to preserve aspect ratio when changing either width or height. It does not make them equal.

Unlock, change X, change Y, click on something, like the X box, to register the Y change.
Now they are exact, or however you set them, and lock the settings. They will now track.

I will leave the Cross Pointer questions to those that have and use one.

Let me explain again: I have installed an LED Cross Pointer in the Laser Module. I measured the Pointer Offset and inserted the values. Now, when I select FRAME, the Laser Module traces the outline of the work with the Laser Location and NOT the Cross Pointer location. I need a way to ADD the Pointer Offset during FRAMING so that I can see that the referencing to the work area is correct. I hope this helps.

This is not how it should behave.

Can you provide the following:

1. Screenshot of Edit->Device Settings
  2. Full screenshot of LightBurn with the design loaded and ready to frame
  3. In Console, enable Show All, then attempt a framing operation
  4. Disable the pointer offset and repeat the framing operation
  5. Copy/paste all the Console output and post here

Hi! I have same issue with Pointer offset and Framing.

Framing with Pointer Offset

Framing without Pointer Offset

Seems that Framing do not count with Pointer Offset.

Enable “Show all” in Console, then repeat the two tests please.

1 Like

Here it is. First is FRAME with offset, then twice press FRAME without offset.

Red arrow shows 2nd press of FRAME with offset turned OFF

I want to verify the problem you’re having.

Please confirm if these are all correct.

1. You are using a red crosshair
  2. You are positioning the laser at the point you want to burn the job
  3. You initiate frame operation and the red crosshairs go where you want them
  4. When you start the job, instead of the primary laser shifting to cover the original frame, it doesn’t shift at all and burns offset from expected

Is this correct? If not, what is different?

Please take a video from start to finish of your workflow showing the unexpected behavior.

Aaaa now I understand where is “trouble”.

I have integrated positioning laser. When I turn ON option: Enable laser fire button AND Laser ON when framing - than my Positioning laser is turned OFF and “working laser” is ON (running only on 0.5% power) but shows frame on wrong position.

If I turn OFF function: Enable laser fire button - then my Positioning laser shows correct FRAME of course.

When I start burn - primary laser shift correctly of course.

Maybe with Enable laser fire option ON and pressing FRAME then laser should use offset too - otherwise it shows incorrect position.

But I understand that in case that you have external pointing laser without automatic swithing offf - it could be also strange behaviour.

1 Like

Bottom line is it needs to be consistent. If you are using a positioning laser with offset, it will use that position for framing as well and only shift during burning. LightBurn is not aware that the machine is auto-disabling the positioning laser.

In any case, glad you have it sorted.

So you think this is OK? From my point of view when I use it as you see on settings - framing do not show correct position. Primary laser is on during framing and shows incorrect framing. In this setting it should use offset too.

To be clear:

1. Disable “Laser on when framing”. Keep pointer offset enabled.
  2. Align job with positioning laser
  3. Frame. The positioning laser should show the frame of the area to be burned
  4. Start job. The laser module should shift position and burn within the original framed area

Is it not working this way?

If not, can you take a video end-to-end of what’s happening?

Hi, here is link to video to understand what I mean and what is wrong by my opinion.

If you want to use the blue diode laser for framing you must disable the pointer offset. It’s one or the other, not both, at least in terms of proper frame location.

So you are still convinced that this behaviour is correct? Me not. When I use blue diod laser for framing it should show me CORRECT frame and not nonsense.

There is workaround for Atomstack A24 Pro / X24 Pro available until Lightburn will be fixed.

Just enter Red Cross pointer offset in mobile app (my values are X: 11mm Y: 18 m) and then this offset is hardcoded in laser unit - so then in Lightburn you do not need to set Pointer offset and FRAME function is working with Red Cross laser and also with Diode laser correctly.

The behavior is correct. If you want to use the blue diode, disable the pointer offset. Then use Fire button in Move window to position the blue diode at the start position, then frame, then burn. They should all align.

When frame function shows frame on incorrect position than it is NOT CORRECT.

Maybe there is some some functionality I’m missing???

^ That.^ You did not do that in the video.
So yes, it is doing what you asked it to do correctly.

When you enable the blue laser for framing, the switch just sets the led laser to lower power and turns it on. It can’t affect the offset.