Etching Glass... Moly Spray? Cold Galvanize Spray? Or... Soot

I tried a couple different types of sprays to help etch Flat glass, bottles, stemware etc. But removing that stuff is a pain. While driving home for some reason I thought of using acetylene soot. I shoot competitively and we use a “Carbide Candle” to blacken our sights with soot so they don’t reflect sunlight. There is a guy who makes these: WATERS RIFLEMAN CALCIUM CARBIDE SIGHT SMOKER BLACKENER
In my opinion they are the best ones out there but there are many other manufacturers. You put a couple Calcium Carbide rocks in the back, add some water and light it like a lighter. The flame is very sooty and very quickly will blacken surfaces. Nice thing is you don’t need solvents to remove it. It just wipes off. Any other residue washes off with water and some soap. There really isn’t much that’s darker than soot (other than vantablack paint, lol). But the laser seems to hit it pretty well. Also, soot is carbon so it doesn’t vaporize quite as quickly as volatile paints, so more heat seems to stay at the focal point a bit longer.

1 Like

You don’t need anything on the glass to etch it. The laser will etch it anyway. unless I’m not understanding the question

He may have a diode laser like I do, wont naturally etch glass as the frequency passes right through it

1 Like

Have you tried borax in water sprayed on top? I just got some the other day and was going to give it a whirl. It allegedly creates a decently thick film that might have an effect?

Borax works great on wood. Not glass. And yeah, I have a Diode laser. Sorry I didn’t mention that.

No, as I understand it, Diode lasers need a medium to excite on glass. Even then a fair amount goes right through it. As my spoil board will attest. lol