Etching Polished Stainless Steel or Unpolished

Just an FYI should someone be looking for a simple methodology to etch stainless steel - and not wanting to spend a ton of money on sprays or other materials to coat the stainless steel, there are two ways that I will tell you that I found which actually work - yup…they work. If I could figure out how to post a picture on this forum I would, but I haven’t been able to figure that out yet - if even possible on this forum.

One method I use is holding a wooden match [or 2] or a candle - lit and held underneath the item I’m looking to etch to get it covered with the black soot/coating on the surface. It really works…but for smaller projects. And now the weird one. Spreading yellow mustard evenly on the surface - very thin coat evenly spread. Again, not too thick. Trial and error will work best on this. The more evenly spread the more consistent the etch across the entire project. This one really works good. I have a Ray5 10W and set speed at 75 and power to 100%. I’ve even seen it work pretty good with speed at 100. All one pass. Experimenting with different speeds and passes will get you great results. Power though, 100% all the time. I hope this helps somebody. It certainly has helped me…

1 Like

Definitely possible :slight_smile:

You can drag and drop pictures into this dialog box or use the upload button.

I look forward to learning more about your process.

Without a doubt, now I’m curious and tempted to try it… Just to see what happens.
:sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.