Falcon2 Communication/Command Issue

Hello,

I am working myself into the world of laser engraving. I bought myself a Falcon2 from Creality and now I am learning to work with LightBurn (yet with test version).

Exporting GCode from LightBurn to a flash drive and operating the machine as stand-alone device does work well. But I want to go the next step and operate the machine from LightBurn (basically for quicker positioning).

Now I stuck in a problem: The machine seem to not correctly except commands.

Situation 1:

1. Power-Up the Falcon2
  2. Connect USB
  3. Start Lightburn
    … then LightBurn waits forever for connection

Situation 2:

1. Start LightBurn
  2. Connect USB
  3. Start Falcon2
    … then there is some information in the LightBurn Console:
Auf Verbindung warten...
Port failed to open - already in use?
[OK]system start-up CV50-MASTER-Release V3.0.4 20231113-0956
[OK] ILmp_app_init OK
[OK] gas_init OK
usb connect succeed
[OK] ILmp Link connect ok
[MSG:Using cpu_map...esp32-s3]
Grbl 1.1f ['$' for help]
ok
[VER:1.1f.20220810:]
[OPT:VHL,127,65536]
Target buffer size found
[software versions: CV50-MASTER-Release V3.0.4 20231113-0956]
ok
inquire_info->power:40W ,CV50-LASER-40W-Release V3.0.4 20231108-1426

So, it seems that there is generally a connection. After this I can “Home” the Falcon2 controlled from Lightburn. So, connection in both directions do work.
But after homing, no other command is accepted.
I cannot “Home” again, I cannot write “$$” in the console, I cannot do move commands. It seems that something stopped working. It could be an issue with the Falcon2 or with LightBurn - not sure how to find out.

Does anyone has a hint how I can do more investigations of what is going on?
Thanks

Thomas, first thing is I had this issue. If you run GRBL and then open Lightburn it seems that GRBL doesn’t let go of the USB port and do housekeeping like it should. Boot and load LB first and see if that makes a difference. Did you load the USB drivers Lightburn needs? Also, check your Device Manager settings and make sure that the box on the Power Management screen isn’t checked to let the computer power down USB hubs.

Check each HUB in your device Manager list and if it has a Power Management tab uncheck the box that says allow the computer to power down this device to save power. Hope some of this helps.

Hello Chuck,

thank you for your ideas. Actually I am running on a linux system, so I do not have this device manager. But I capture your thoughts and checked power saving settings in the BIOS (unfortunately without success).

I also contacted a friend with more linux experience then me. He recommended “dmesg -wH” to monitor what is happening:
1_PowerOn
What I see is that the device gets several reconnects.

The log, when engaging the homing function in LightBurn, looks similar:
2_Home
The serial number “123456” is suspicious, but I guess these reconnects are the issue.

I even tried several USB cables - all with the same behavior.
Looks to me that this is a clear device issue that cannot be solved with LightBurn.
I’ll try to contact the vendor.

Can you capture the Console log showing this full interaction? So from first connection to point where no new commands are being accepted.

You see it in my first post. There is nothing more. When I click something, there is no output in the LightBurn console window.

Can you connect and then run these commands in Console? What happens?

$$
G0 X10

Please return the output here.

Here is the full log:

Auf Verbindung warten...
Auf Verbindung warten...
Port failed to open - already in use?
usb connect succeed
[OK]system start-up CV50-MASTER-Release V3.0.4 20231113-0956
[OK] ILmp_app_init OK
[OK] gas_init OK
[OK] ILmp Link connect ok
[MSG:Using cpu_map...esp32-s3]
Grbl 1.1f ['$' for help]
ok
[VER:1.1f.20220810:]
[OPT:VHL,127,65536]
Target buffer size found
[software versions: CV50-MASTER-Release V3.0.4 20231113-0956]
ok
inquire_info->power:40W ,CV50-LASER-40W-Release V3.0.4 20231108-1426
$$
GO X10

There is no reaction to any of the commands.

P.S. I don’t have the machine at home and a was traveling last weeks. So I took a while, sorry.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.