💨 Faster 3D printer that doubles as a laser engraver on KICKSTARTER

Watch the :tv: video it looks pretty impressive and very affordable

I think this would help crank out the Lightburn camera mounts much faster :wink:

A lot have tried this path and most have failed.

When I read this I immediately thought of

Roger

Most people know the basic story of Roger Bannister, who, on May 6, 1954, busted through the four-minute barrier with a time of three minutes, fifty-nine and four-tenths of a second.

It had become as much a psychological barrier as a physical one. And like an unconquerable mountain, the closer it was approached, the more daunting it seemed.

So the four-minute barrier stood for decades — and when it fell, the circumstances defied the confident predictions of the best minds in the sport. The experts believed they knew the precise conditions under which the mark would fall. It would have to be in perfect weather — 68 degrees and no wind. On a particular kind of track — hard, dry clay — and in front of a huge, boisterous crowd urging the runner on to his best-ever performance. But Bannister did it on a cold day, on a wet track, at a small meet in Oxford, England, before a crowd of just a few thousand people.

When Bannister broke the mark, even his most ardent rivals breathed a sigh of relief. At last, somebody did it! And once they saw it could be done, they did it too. Just 46 days Bannister’s feat, John Landy, an Australian runner, not only broke the barrier again, with a time of 3 minutes 58 seconds. Then, just a year later, three runners broke the four-minute barrier in a single race . Over the last half century, more than a thousand runners have conquered a barrier that had once been considered hopelessly out of reach.

But my favorite take away from Roger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile is that not too many people remember the bloke who broke the 4 minute mile second.

I hope they break the 3D printing and Laser mold as well

:beers:

Source: Harvard Business Review

There is nothing fast on this printer, from their own specs:
SC-10 Shark: Normal printing speed 45-90mm/s
SC10: Normal printing speed 30-60mm/s

Thats terrible slow, which is no surprise on a printer which is moving the whole printbed.
If you want to print fast, you need a core XY System.

From a print speed point of view the filament extrusion must be the final arbiter I imagine. You can only extrude so fast unless the filament is specifically engineered for faster extrusion and then only at higher temperatures. Travel speeds and the quality of the extruder so that retraction can be done faster might make a huge difference on a complex print. The contruction though doesn’t look much different to my CR10. However, the other features, especially the dual extrusion for that sort of money can’t be bad.

Cheers

David

You can add this kind of dual extrusion to your CR10 for about 5$. It is just a Y Adapter, you can even print it on your own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3509288
The printing speed is not dependend on special filament, it is the Hot-end and the extruder which makes it possible or not.