Feature request - Master Enable switch for multihead cutters

I have a dual head 130W OMTech, and sometimes I just don’t need to cut duplicates and I don’t want my second laser blasting my workbed. Is there a Universal laser 1/2 enable switch, so I don’t have to click on each individual layer to turn off one of my lasers if I’m only using other?

To clarify, my single machine has two different lasers that run in tandem. Two laser tubes, two heads. This is not a question for using lightburn to run multiple different machines/devices.

Thanks!

I am assuming you have a Ruida 6445g controller.
each Laser control channel (CN5 & CN6) have their own coolant protection input. If they aren’t internally linked to shut off both lasers is one laser trips it’s coolant protection then you would be able to install a switch to each input allowing you to manually turn each laser on and off individually.
This wouldn’t disable with the protection or the coolant flow, so it couldn’t compromise the over temp protection on the tubes.

Disclaimer: This is not something I would consider doing if the machine or the tubes were still under warranty, or if I didn’t understand that I if do it wrong I would most definitely break my toy and possibly burn my house down.

I’d be surprised is this works. The water fail is an error condition that causes the Ruida to halt what it’s doing. This allows you to fix the coolant flow and resume the job. If the machine moves at all, it can’t continue the job.

I don’t have two tubes, but it works this way with one tube, I doubt it would ignore this condition for a twin tube setup.

@JPenzien I’m not sure of what you are asking, but on a DC excited tube, there is usually the L input that allows it to lase. You could install a switch to open this line… that would allow it to go high and disable that lps…

:smile_cat:

the 6445 just shuts off the laser. No different than turning off your cooler. It may pause if the alarm is tripped while the job is running, but I have made test runs with the cooler off and it runs but the laser doesn’t fire.

If it wired like it’s supposed to using the controller, it should halt when the wp line goes high…

You must have yours wired to the P of the lps instead of LWP1 on the controller … ?

nope. it is connected as per the wiring diagram in the manual.

I have a single tube so the chiller’s flow sensor is connected to terminals 1 & 4.
here is what the manual says regarding WP1; "The input port of water protector for the first laser power source.
When the water protector 1 is enabled, the mainboard will detect
the input port of water protector 1. If this port is of low level, it will
be deemed normal; if this port is of high level, the mainboard will
forcibly close the laser to suspend the work in progress and the
system will warn. If the water protector 1 is not enabled, the
mainboard will not detect the input port of water protector 1 and so
the water protector 1 can be unconnected"

It could be a case of inaccurate translation or an incorrect description that wasn’t caught before publication but this is not how the protection logic actually works, at least when the flow sensor alarm contacts are open before calling for the laser to fire.
It may suspend operation if the alarm contacts go open during operation and to be honest, I hope I never have the opportunity to find out. :slight_smile:
I will try and grab some video showing the laser running a job with the chiller off.

Mine gives me a water protection error and will not run anything if water protect isn’t active.

Your symptoms are what I’d expect if the wp was wired to the lps, not the Ruida…

From what you are telling me, if coolant is off, then it will execute the layer without lasing?

Is there a separatel HV power supply for the second laser? If so, might be easiest to just add a switch that turns the supply on or off.

You may already have a switch that handles this for both as well as a key switch. So just a matter of having discrete ones for each supply.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.