Fill Problems on Marlin Board

I am having trouble with the fill feature, I can do line engravings but fill has problems. It seems like the laser isn’t turning on/off at the right time. Is there any way to automatically adjust the gcode to make things work?
I am using M106/107 to control the laser

New user myself, but I saw the same thing and lowered my speed and it went away. Engravings looked like smeared paint.

This is an unfortunately common issue with Marlin. I believe by default they ‘ramp up’ their fan output, which is generally where the laser is connected. There’s a compile-time option to disable this, but not one that you can just set from the console. You need a different build of the firmware with that fan ‘soft start’ ramping feature disabled.

This is one of the reasons I loathe Marlin - many options can only be changed at compile time, and there are hundreds of options - the firmware is so endlessly configurable that it’s next to impossible to actually support it.

Hello, I spent about 2 hours tonight to try to find the FW setting you are talking about. I have the Marlin 2.0 Firmware and all kinds of SOFT FAN PWM’s are disabled, but still doing the same thing. I have no problem recompiling the firmware if somebody could help and let us know which values to change. I found these which I thought were related, all disabled on the bottom of the configuration.h:

// Set number of user-controlled fans. Disable to use all board-defined fans.
// :[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]
//#define NUM_M106_FANS 1

// Increase the FAN PWM frequency. Removes the PWM noise but increases heating in the FET/Arduino
//#define FAST_PWM_FAN

// Use software PWM to drive the fan, as for the heaters. This uses a very low frequency
// which is not as annoying as with the hardware PWM. On the other hand, if this frequency
// is too low, you should also increment SOFT_PWM_SCALE.
//#define FAN_SOFT_PWM

// Incrementing this by 1 will double the software PWM frequency,
// affecting heaters, and the fan if FAN_SOFT_PWM is enabled.
// However, control resolution will be halved for each increment;
// at zero value, there are 128 effective control positions.
// :[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7]
//#define SOFT_PWM_SCALE 0

// If SOFT_PWM_SCALE is set to a value higher than 0, dithering can
// be used to mitigate the associated resolution loss. If enabled,
// some of the PWM cycles are stretched so on average the desired
// duty cycle is attained.
//#define SOFT_PWM_DITHER

Anybody knows which settings we need to change?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.