Filter on Sculpfun 30 air pump and rheostat for speed control

Anybody tried to put some kind of filter over the small hole (air intake) of the air pump? Would like clean air pumped into the laser. I don’t keep the fan in my laser box, but I still would feel better with some kind of air filter.
Also, one model has a speed control on it. How to put one on my model and what specs for it?
Thanks
Greg

The speed control is not available for the automatic pumps. Only the standalone pump has a regulator. The automatic pumps are driven differently and there is no easy way to make it regulated as with the other one. Though, you could add a Y-valve to the air hose to change the airflow that reaches the nozzle.

I saw some people adding filter/face masks around the pump. This could help to clear the air, but also might restrict airflow. But if the volume covered by the mask is big enough, I think it can work.

A $5 inline needle valve is enough to regulate airflow. Just need to know connection size, cut airline near pump, push to connect. Done.

$5 upgrade from that to allow max flow would be adding a second, bypass, circuit with a ball valve so you can run full flow. Even fully open, the needle valve will reduce flow.

$10 upgrade from THAT, would be to add a solenoid (in place of the ball valve) that you can control with a manual switch or, if your controller supports it, LB M8 (auto air) command.

Thanks for the great ideas guys!

On my S30 air pump, I put a T in the line and a ball valve (1/2" PVC) on that. For etching, I leave the ball valve open to have a small pressure and keep the lens clean. To Cut, I close the valve and have full pressure to the nozzle. If I forget to turn off the Cuts to run them second, I have to be quick on the valve!

That is what I was hoping to understand. I have another question, asked elsewhere, but sensing you have a Sculpfun, could you guide me to the proper settings for my 20 watt, for a test card (maybe Louisiana Hobby guy ‘universal test card’)? What is puzzeling me is his test card is for a 5 watt and he states the need to adjust for ones own laser, in my case 20 watt.

LightBurn has a test generator as well. You need to set the borders of the test to match your material and requirements. There is no test file that fits all. Do not use test files from other people, create your own.

Melvin is correct. Use the one in Lightburn. If the cuts/burns are too light or too dark, you may have to modify the ranges and run again.