Finding Center of irregular objects

Hey there,

I’m trying to engrave the bottom of this catch all tray with a cat face. I am struggling to find the exact center of it in light burn. I have the dimensions of it, but for some reason it keeps being off slightly. I also keep bumping the edges of the tray while engraving. I don’t know why the laser is bumping the upper ears. I outlined the shape in lightburn and made sure I did a .5inch inward offset.

THANKS!

Take the orange shield off the bottom of your laser module for more clearance.

If it’s not midway between the extreme outer points, which is what LightBurn uses, then how do you define “center”?

The overscan distance outside the engraved area, plus the width of the laser head / nozzle / eye shield, probably exceeds half an inch, so collision is inevitable. In particular, the perimeter of the dish has inward-pointing sections that will collide with a square-ish laser head.

For example, the right ear extends up into a pocket that will certainly be too close around the laser head. The offset is measured perpendicular to the outline of the engraved area, but the laser head must have enough clearance horizontally and vertically, as well as diagonally.

As a rule of thumb, no part of the material can extend high enough to collide with any part of the laser head, because you cannot directly control the laser head path. A longer focal length lens can get you the standoff distance required to clear the perimeter, although that may not be an option for diode lasers.

Just a thought can you not remove the too parts then engrave the cat then glue the outer/top piece back on…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.