Finding that gap where the shapes aren't closed but they appear to be. Maybe this will help

After zooming in and doing a seemingly endless scroll along the line, searching for where that single gap is, I found what I think might be worth sharing. (no videos found addressing the situation, yet).

Problem:
I was seeing the image render in the Preview window for line mode but I needed the shape to be filled. Kept getting the dialog box showing “1 shape(s) were set to fill, but weren’t closed. These have been removed as they cause problems”.
When I click the show me button in this dialog box, the offending line/shape turns into a dashed line. Okay that helps if there is just one line, but if there are multiple lines, meaning multiple shapes that aren’t closed, what to do.

My Solution:
I go to those lines and one by one change their layer to something different. Five different shapes, five different/new layers.
Then I set those to newly created layers to “Line” and then set them to not Output nor Show.
Next, shape by shape, i.e., one by one, I turn the Output and Show back on and then use the Preview button to show just that one. From this point simply sliding the Play button to the beginning shows where the start location is and sliding to the end shows you if you’re locations are even in the same proximity. I believe the gap has to be at that location so comparing the Preview window to the Workspace, I can then zoom quickly to that spot and move the ends close enough to Auto Join.

Change the type to “Fill” and voila… a closed shape! Then adjust accordingly, on to the next shape.

Hopefully, this makes sense. It actually takes longer to read this than to actually perform the fix, once you get the hang of it.

Cheers,
Steven

2 Likes

Did you try the option for closing, select open shapes or close selected shapes or it’s cousin close selected shapes with tolerance also fill selected open shapes?

If those fail the ‘node’ editor works well.

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Yes, I did.
Thanks for the response as others can benefit from it also.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.