Firmware failure... am I just completely hosed

So I have a little engraver I have been playing with while deciding what to get better, picked it up on FB Marketplace. It’s a Smernit S3 (company seems to have folded)

It has an MKS DLC32 v2.1 board. The original firmware was V2.20 (8M.H35.20220905) and it would not connect to wifi no matter what. I read that was corrected in V2.30. I thought I could update the firmware then just put the correct parameters back using the text file. Smernit seems long gone so I flashed firmware from a Longer Ray5 because it was the same board and looked super similar… before that I did $$ in Lightburn and save the parameters, then put those back using the cfg file on the microsd card.

Well Wifi works great, but now the machine crashes the Y axis when homing… you can manually push the limit switch and the machine is simply not reading it… it was working fine before the firmware update so it seems unlikely to be the switch hardware… also, the laser will not fire.

I’m now learning that the firmware is more like Marlin for 3D printers and has to be compiled with certain parameters actually internal to the firmware file…

Is there anything at all I can do at this point? I have tried pretty much everything in the cfg file that could make a difference, but that was all saved and put back identical to before anyway?

Have you tried firmware directly from Makerbase? It’s possible that the Longer firmware has modified pin assignments for the limit switches.

Well, that’s sort of how I got here… I couldn’t find generic Makerbase firmware. If anyone has a link I would be eternally grateful. The Github links all say file missing.

Take a look here: GitHub - makerbase-mks/MKS-DLC32: MKS DLC32 motherboard kit, which is an offline engraving master control kit developed for desktop engraving machines. The hardware is equipped with a 32-bit high-speed ESP32 module, integrated WIFI function, and directly drives a 3.5-inch touch color screen; it can realize fast engraving and WEB web pages. Control, mobile phone APP control and other functions.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Chalk it up to my inexperience with GitHub. I guess I was just clicking on the wrong link.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.