First attempt at slate, Line mode makes a huge difference!

Thought I would try my hand at slate coasters, had the 80w machine for a week now and everything so far has gone smoothly, i ran the initial settings at 500m/s, 30% power and with Fill+Line, while this came out OK it left a slight greenish hue to the engraving and also seems to bubble the edges (maybe too much heat?)

WITH FILL+LINE

Same settings with Line OFF! and just FILL it is MUCH better!

Just thought i would share as im super impressed with the engraving quality!

5 Likes

very nice !, and I love the logo, I also have bees :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have also found that too much power / too slow causes that yellow/green tinge. Great looking image BTW. Did you coat the tile with anything before or after?

Cheers

David

Thanks David, no coating before or after, has been holding up perfectly to drinks so i dont think it needs one

Thanks Luke. The usual recommendation is to coat with either a poly (inside use) or oil(3 in 1) for out doors. Mainly to increase the contrast. But in your case you seem to have good contrast without that. Possibly the quality of the slate?

Cheers

David

Could already be coated in all honesty, they are surplus drinks coasters from a local slate supplier so they may have already been oiled/coated, i’ll grab a piece of offcut from their bin which is fresh cut and still chalky surfaced to test some more :slight_smile:

Interested to see if they are different.

Cheers

David