First Layered acrylic ornament with clear + glitter

The wife and I have been trying to fabricate ornaments as a side hustle to try and help with bills. This is my absolute favorite so far, thought I’d share. We upgraded to a co2 recently for its ability to cut clear acrylics.

5 Likes

That’s super cute! I wish I could fit a CO2 (and fiber) into my life.

I wonder if making the slipper interior/liner black would add a bit more pop.

1 Like

Not sure! Maybe the etched lines black instead? I havent got an eye for this sorta thing I go back and forth.

1 Like

Heres one of the girls that lost her glass slipper.

2 Likes

I like black lining, but to each their own!

Love it! How do you apply the glitter?

1 Like

Cheated and bought glitter acrylic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My sister and I are starting to play with cutting/etching acrylic using a CO2 100 watt laser as a hobby. Any suggestions on where to purchase colored sheets of acrylic (on a budget)? Also would your acrylic glitter work on etched glass?

1 Like

Oh it isnt an acrylic paint but rather a sheet of acrylic that has glitter suspended in it already.

We just ordered a bunch from smokey hill designs they are very affordable and ship out of north carolina which is right near me. Amazon prices cannot even come close. Another I have used is acme plastics out of new jersey.

1 Like

OMG, I can’t thank you enough. My sister is in love with acrylic. What is the difference between acrylic and plastic? Which do you prefer? I know what I can get her for Christmas.

Thanks you for sharing!

Acrylic is a type of plastic. Most people know it as “Plexiglass” in the US.

I buy the cast acrylic. It is a type of plastic but very strong and shatter resistant. We use it as a glass substitute here. Lexan, lucite, plexiglas are all types of acrylic but have TM and are trade names by companies. PET and PETG, polycarbonate etc can all be used but polycarbonate is a bit tougher and messier to lasercut. Check out a search for “cast acrylic sheet for laser cutting”. Stay away from ABS and Vinyl (PVC) as they are very poisonous fumes and highly corrosive to internal of laser.

Makrolon and Lexan are polycarbonate.
Lucite and Plexiglass are acrylic. Also commonly called Perspex in EU//UK.

Not sure how the two differ for laser processing, but the physical properties are quite different. Polycarb is amazing for safety glazing but is also quite a bit more flexible/ductile than acrylic. Acrylic glues up better with appropriate cements. Acrylic is usually cheaper (for untinted standard sheets).