Food grade darkening tips

I’m looking for some method of darkening (like Laser Dark) that is sufficiently food grade. The issue is surface engraving cutting boards. I’m trying to make the shading more consistent.

I’ve seen colored epoxy fill used for cutting boards. I’d expect that would be food grade (though can’t say for certain).

The pro way: Do a deeper engrave, then cut out a thin veneer of the same shape and in a darker color and glue in place, then sand it smooth.

1 Like

All of these are done with a jtech laser attachment on my xcarve.

Idk if it would work as well with side grain or a more precise laser. 50% power on a 3.8mW diode at 100% speed (1000in/min?)

1 Like

Looks really nice!
I wonder why the co2 Laser does not give similar results… I really like how the diode lasers mark darker… Gonna have to add that to my co2…

Im not sure it is a matter of marking darker, or if it is the bigger dot. Maybe try unfocusing your beam some to see if it gets better results?
I like my diode tons for engraving larger objects, but for cutting, fine engraving, photos, and more material options, i LOVE my CO2!

2 Likes

Hmm… I’ll take your advice and see how it looks… Thank you! n (Still wanna get a diode attachment… :smiley: )

Maybe try adjusting your speed and power until you find the level of burn / darkening you desire. Slower speed tends to create darker color (even at lower power) because the wood has more time to combust (and not just vaporize).

2 Likes