Frame and workpiece don't match

I am currently using a snapmaker 1 with lightburn. When I set my origin with the machine, then push the frame button in LB it usually “frames” the entire workpiece. On occasion, and quite often, now when I push the “frame” button it travels 1/3 of the x direction and the entire y direction. So instead of the entire piece being framed, only 1/3 of the left side gets framed. I did read the other posts about framing, but didn’t see anything this specific, or an answer to something similar.

Can you show a picture of the project in the LightBurn window? Is any of it outside the page boundary?

Here is one of the items I try to print.! Some times it will frame the entire tile, other times it will only do about 1/3.

You have it set to ‘User Origin’ which is a rare choice for such a small machine. Are you using that setting intentionally?

Yes, I guess it was intentional. But if that isn’t the best setting what should I use?

For a small machine with positive workspace (assuming that’s what it has) just ‘Absolute Coords’.

When it frames only 1/3rd, is the machine skipping? You have the speed set to 100mm/sec, but I have no idea what the Snapmaker is actually capable of or limited to.

So when it frames 1/3 it does seem like it moves to that location in x, stalls, then goes up in y then back. I have taken the machine completely apart on that axis and cleaned/regreased it. It doesn’t give me issues with the cnc or the 3d printing. I tried each after it started this to eliminate machine issues. I have done laser printing at 1200mm/sec without any issues.

1 Like

Then it’s likely the ‘Start From’ mode you’re using. You should read here to understand how they work: https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/CoordinatesOrigin.html

Will read it and see how things work, thank you.

Okay, I tried the absolute coordinates and it framed well, but truncated the top of the file.

That looks like it skipped badly. Did it hit something, or run into the side? Have you set the machine size properly?

No, the machine is in the enclosure, nothing touching it, no air, no animals, nothing. Machine size has been set from the beginning. I did notice when I hit “frame” that the top didn’t really seem to be on the tile, but I put that off as the drawing just being shorter.

I put another tile on and attempted to run it with the same settings and it wouldn’t frame properly.

The way you word things is important. “It wouldn’t frame properly” tells me it didn’t work, but not what it did or didn’t do.

“It went 2/3rds of the way, then stalled and made a weird noise”, for example, gives lots of detail that could be useful to help pinpoint the issue. I can’t see through your screen. :slight_smile:

I attempted to upload a video but they aren’t authorized. I had the laser at the machines x y origin which is front left. I held the shift key and clicked on “frame” icon. The machine layout is 125x125mm. After clicking on the frame icon the laser moves in x direction approximately 45mm then back in y direction the full length. Then it moved in -x direction past the origin approximately -16mm then back to 0 in the y axis.

I usually have to turn off both the machine and laptop, unplug the USB cable unplug the machine and then in this order plug power cord into the printer turn on the power, start the laptop and plug in the USB cable then start lightburn. It will function properly for one print then repeats the failed process until I go through the restart of machines.

Try turning off “Return to finish position” Edit > Device Settings.

That way when a job ends it’ll just leave the laser where it is. It’s possible that the return point is set incorrectly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.