Frames perfect, Engraves way above frame

Hi all,
I’ve been having great luck with flatwork and also got my RA2 working this week.
I saw some pictures on one of these forums where someone used stickable cable tie holders to manage the air assist hose and XTool Gantry cables, so I followed the same lead. Good movement and the cables and air hose now route well, including away from my Camera kit that is attached to the XTool frame.

Tried to do some flat work, so disconnected the rotary, disabled rotary in Lighbturn.

The problem:
The new engrave frames perfectly. However, when I hit Start, the laser moves well above the desired location and begins to engrave.

Question:
Could this be a Lightburn setting?
Or could it be that I have a damaged cable or bent pin? I don’t understand why it frames perfectly, but then tries to engrave elsewhere.

LB and Xtool versions are all latest and recently upgraded.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

XTool D1, 10W, Non-Pro, Air Assist

I am having a similar issue with my xTool D1 Pro 20W (latest LightBurn and laser firmware versions). After using the rotary then disconnecting and disabling it, I’m having problems lining up a cut after engrave. There are five layers in the engrave, and they all line up until the very end, where it seems like the orientation is flipped before it finishes the engrave and does the cut. Sorry for the blur in the image below - I wanted to hide some personal information.

• The areas in blue are where the last aligned marks occur. It is the third sublayer that outlines the arched text so it is more defined (it’s in relief).
  • The red arrow points to where the alignment goes awry. It is a vertically mirrored outline of the comma located where the yellow dot is in the original design.
  • The arch you see above the mirrored comma is supposed to be the final path of the same blue outline sublayer.
  • The white “outline” (forgive my phone drawing) is where the final layer, a slow cut around the outside, is supposed to be. I stopped the engraver before it could finish on this one.

Meaning it happens like this:

1. The first three layers, two of which are multi-layers with both fill and line sublayers, engrave as expected (this is everything blurred out in the middle of the circles).
  2. The first sublayer of the fourth layer engraves the dark ring with the letters in relief, doing bi-directional scanning in the horizontal direction. Works as expected.
  3. The second sublayer of the fourth layer engraves the same as the first sublayer, but bi-directionally in the vertical direction. Works as expected.
  4. The beginning of the final sublayer outlines all of the text along the top as expected, BUT
  5. After outlining the month, date, and year on the bottom, the image is somehow flipped vertically, outlining the comma and the ring with a different orientation than the first part of the SAME sublayer.
  6. The fifth layer cuts in the correct location relative to the end of layer 4, which is flipped vertically compared to the previous engraving.

I have tried quitting and relaunching LightBurn, making sure the belt tension feels right, moving the origin in the laser panel and/or in Device Settings. This seems way too far off to be a simple offset or backlash issue. Hopefully there is one solution for both issues.

I found what I suppose you can call a solution! I deleted the xTool D1 Pro from my devices in LightBurn, re-downloaded the configuration file provided by xTool, imported it into LightBurn, then did a restart-required update to MacOS Big Sur 11.7.2. [Don’t judge me for not being on Ventura; I always wait until other people work out all compatibility issues.]

So, I don’t know if it was the config refresh, computer restart, or OS update that worked, but it’s working as expected now. I will probably repeat the config refresh and restart whenever I switch from the rotary tool back to flat X-Y engraving. Hopefully this works for OP.

I use Windows.
Finally got back to the shop to test.

Opened LB, moved D1 10W to top left, 0/0.
Turned on laser.
Started it at top/left, 0,0
Framed. Perfect.
Send home with home button, perfect 0,0.
Hit start. Went to the right spot, then ran straight above it almost to the top and tried to laser there until it hit the top rails.

I did some more poking around in settings and the only thing I found was that “enable Z axis” was checked, which is necessary on this machine for the rotary. Even though the rotary was disconnected and disabled on the laser tab, it still must have thought it was connected due to this being checked. Unchecked “enable Z axis”, framed, sent home, hit start. Lasered in the right spot.

I guess I need to review the procedures for going from no rotary, to rotary, and back. You would think it can detect I disabled the rotary on the laser tab, but maybe I’m doing something wrong.

It may be an enhancement request to automatically uncheck “enable Z axis” when disabling the rotary on the laser tab?

Anyway, I think it’s solved for now and THANKS for the help!