Free, open-source tool to turn 3D models into laser-cut parts (Slicer for Fusion 360 replacement)

Hi everyone,

I made sculptures with Autodesk’s Slicer for Fusion 360 for years. Autodesk retired it and I couldn’t find anything free that did the same job, so I built a replacement: Lamina.

Here’s a steel sphere I made with it, using the radial slices:

You load a 3D model (STL, OBJ, 3MF and others), choose how to build it, set your material thickness and sheet size, and it gives you the flat parts to cut:

  • Stacked layers, held by dowels, pegs or spacers
  • Interlocking egg crate slices
  • Radial slices locked by rings
  • Ribs that follow a curve
  • The surface unfolded into papercraft panels

Before you cut, it checks that the parts actually hold together: parts too thin, slots that cut a piece in two, or pieces nothing is holding. It lays the parts out on your sheet with labels and exports SVG or DXF, with outer cuts, inner cuts, scores and labels each in their own colour, so you can set them up as layers in LightBurn. Kerf compensation, a slot offset to tune the fit, and a small fit test to cut first are in there too.

It’s free and open source (AGPL), runs in your browser with nothing uploaded and no account, or you can run it locally. It’s a solo project, built with help from AI.

Try it here: Lamina — free Slicer for Fusion 360 alternative: 3D models into flat cut parts

It’s early days, so there will be bugs. If something comes out wrong, please tell me and help me fix them :slight_smile: And I’d love to see what you make with it.

Interesting! I will have to play with this one.