Further adventures in 32bit land

After discarding the MKS DLC 32bit as being unfit for purpose:

1. the Z axis doesn’t work
  2. they deleted the firmware for all version 1 boards
  3. the board could not handle processing simple text and never achieved its claimed speeds.

However, I have come across a board from BTT GTR v1.0 with a 32bit STM4F chip that looks as though it has everything I want in a multi-purpose board.
The question is, assuming pin outs are changed in source code, would a version of say GrblHAL work on this board?
Cheers.
BOARD

Well, probably you got a defective DLC32, mine works as intended, Z works, i upload my version of GRBL (the latest one from their github) and the speed is respected.

Don’t know what to tell you, I tested two boards, both version 1, and it didn’t work.
Accidentally loaded the v2 firmware and all sorts of carnage happened with the laser output and still no Z axis which on github was a problem for other people.
Having bought 4 of these boards with displays and finding them unfit for purpose, partly due to their redundancy by MKS version release policy then I’m not too enthralled.

1 Like

Well i understand your feeling, Btw i don’t know if a version of grbl fits on the MB you choose, but you can give a try to Marlin firmware.

yes it has Marlin already but I want to use it on a laser and marlin is not as good at grayscale as Grbl by all accounts.

and you are rigth, but the other way is open the source code of GRBL search for pins and map them all accordingly to your MB.

which is what I’m aiming to do but aren’t sure as to which flavour of 32 bit is best to use?

i think the one you know best

I am not wow’d by the MS DLC board either. I have a V1.0 that came with my laser.
It works so far, but what REALLY burns me up is that neither the manuf’r or MKS will share the config that they used for the binary that they share.

It seems like a blatant violation of the GPL, but it’s not surprising.

For the cost of hardware, I am seriously looking at the FLY/Mellow RRF3 board and putting RRF3 on there.

2 Likes

Yeah many people have asked for the source code and they aren’t playing.
What brand of laser did you buy that used the DLC board as standard?

1 Like

Sculpfun.
Their replies to my requests are comical …

sums up a lot of the chinese manufacturers to be fair.
try Vevor if you really want stress when something goes wrong…

1 Like

Identified a possible fork, needs some work to get it to run on this particular board.
Topic closed.

I have been testing a new board on my CR10s printer called a PandaZHU and the guy making them has just release grbl-eps32 for the board. He also has a PandaM4 with grbl-esp32. He is very good with feedback and help. His name is Mark Yu and his website is Panda Pi

cheers David, I’ll look into this. appreciated.

btw he has just started an Aliexpress store and there is a 10% discount Panda Pi store

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.