Fuzzy edge etch

Hello

I just my new Monport 80W laser going after having to replace my last one due to a mishap. I use to get great acrylic engraving/etch with the settings I’m trying to use now on this one. It’s giving a weird “fuzzy” edge in the left and right side of whatever I’m engraving (graphic, type, etc.). I had something a log time ago on a GCC laser and they called it ghosting and there was a way to adjust it. But I don’t if this is what you call this.

I illuminate my acrylic products so it is very noticeable. Maybe the customer doesn’t know better but I do. I have attached pic showing this. The setting this was at is 445 SPEED 22 power. It’s driving me crazy because this is a new laser and should be getting better results than this. Does anybody know what is causing this and how to fix? Thank you for any advise.

Debbie

Maybe this helps, look on youtube for E2 - Scanning Offset & Overscanning (intocrafts)

Try running a small test on a scrap

Same pattern duplicated, same speed and the same power, different layers

On one layer do the default thing
On the other layer disable the Bi-Directional engraving
Check if the fuzzy disappears on the 2nd one. If so offsets are required or you can check your mechanics, check if belt is tight.
Given the issue shown on the pictures, seems that’s about scan offsets, but the test above will confirm

I’m not a CO2 guy but this may be relevant:

I think both @gilaraujo and @SchneehaseXL have it with the scan offset.

You did not mention interval… if you increase the interval (lower dpi) the lines will become apparent if it’s a scanning adjustment issue.

It will look similar to the photo in the link @gilaraujo posted if this is the problem.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Thank you for the advise everyone. I will try the adjustment over the weekend.

1 Like