G-code motion target exceeds machine travel on Genmitsu 3180 PROVER

Sounds like you’re collecting these things now. I’ve been considering a CNC router for some time but haven’t been able to justify it. One day.

One of them I use one for the laser, the stock high speed spindle, that’s good for pcb, and a 0.5kw for some metals I’ve needed for some projects. They are really neat toys and I paid the big bucks for this new one that comes with limit switches… The others I’ve built have hall sensors.

Received one at the beginning of the week and during unpacking I noticed the Y axis was not movable by hand except within 50 mm of center :frowning: Sent it back.

However I’ve got one of my machines connected. It’s also configured for the spindle…

I’m wondering if @CEShopworks has some kind of intermittent hardware issue. This stuff is generally pretty tough. I know I’ve abused a lot of what I’ve purchased.

@CEShopworks does your machine come with a ‘manual’ controller? Might see if that will operate it…

I hope you saved a copy of the configuration… :crazy_face:

:smiley_cat:

Nothing unusual. I have tried turning off the machine, the PC and the system doing a complete reboot and still the same result. I also tried connecting to the machine using Candle. It shows connected, but does not accept commands like $$ and appears as it is not communicating. I also changed out USB ports and cables. Same result. I have sent an email to Sainsmart support to see if they can assist in determining if it is a controller board issue.

It does have a manual controller. I have connected it, removed the USB connection and and tried moving the x, y, and z axis. No movement or response.

If you have some base level connectivity you might be able to try a firmware flash.

Uploading Firmware on a SainSmart CNC Controller - SainSmart Resource Center

Note that they indicate to remove mains power when you do this.

There’s probably some risk associated with this but not sure if you have much to lose.

Did the firmware flash and the system now shows x:0 y:0 when homed. If i jog 10 right the spindle never moves and I again get the G-code motion exceeds target message, If I hit Get Position after the jog completes in the console, it still shows as x:0 y:0

Is there a command to reset the off set on Z 0r is it the same command? I see that my z position is 170 which seems out ou
f bounds, It wasn;t this way earlier so I may have fat fingered a command somewhere along the the way.

You probably lost all previous configuration so you may need to go through that again.

I did, even went so far as to remove the machine, re-find it and set up the config from scratch. Tried running it through Candle and Laserburn, same symptoms. The hardware does respond or act on move commands as it always sees the movement as exceeding targets. That is why I was questioning the z location and was to offset it. Currently the z is hitting the low limit and does not back off. The limit switch stays activated.

Can you run $$ and $# again and paste here?

I don’t want to sound ugly, but you do have power to the device besides the USB connection?

Mine also has a power switch on it, that enables power through the controller.

Just ensure it’s got proper power to all parts.

When you reloaded the firmware, did you have a backup to restore the data?

I don’t think mine had any kind of fuse. It sounds like you are not getting the 12 or 24 volts for the steppers. Appears the controller is working. Without the higher voltage it will have these symptoms.

Good call on the backup.
@CEShopworks If you can reference a recent backup this might be the way to go.

I think It’s still completely possible that you have a malfunctioning board. It shouldn’t just wonk out like that.

When I fired everything up this morning to get these readings, I notice that the Get position is back to reading X 250 y158 z16. Trying to jog anywhere, on any axis brings the target exceeds machine travel message

$0=10

$1=25

$2=0

$3=2

$4=0

$5=0

$6=0

$10=0

$11=0.010

$12=0.002

$13=0

$20=1

$21=1

$22=1

$23=3

$24=25.000

$25=500.000

$26=250

$27=0.000

$30=1000

$31=0

$32=1

$100=792.000

$101=800.000

$102=800.000

$110=2000.000

$111=2000.000

$112=600.000

$120=10.000

$121=10.000

$122=10.000

$130=260.000

$131=158.000

$132=34.000

ok

$#

[G54:-260.000,-158.000,35.000]

[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G30:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G92:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[TLO:0.000]

[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000:0]

ok

Don’t worry about sounding ugly, I am more than grateful for the help ! It does have a power supply and I am using the one that came with the machine. It is plugged and and powered up. I can tell by the fact the z limit switch is lit. That in itself seems odd in that prior to this when it would hit the limit switch it would back off and the light would go out. It seems now that it is locked in place with the z limit on. I manually backed it off just now and the light goes out.Machine however is still locked no jog.

Does the machine go through a homing cycle?

This is definately limit related. I just disabled the soft limits machine setting and jog commands now work. Currently I am in the home position and the Get postion shows x 1.5 y 1.5 and z as a negative -24.98. I used the G10 L2 P1 command to adjust the z and hola! EVERYTHING NOW WORKS!

Thank you both for all of your help.

You should be able to reenable soft limits with the coordinates fixed. It’s a nice feature that you probably want to have access to. May prevent a crash in the future. In general, if you find yourself wanting to turn it off because you think it’s not working correctly, it’s probably you that’s not understanding it correctly. Learned that the hard way.

I did enable them once all was working proberly. Thanks again for all your help.

This might sound simple too. There is a reset switch on those Woodpecker boards. Once homed, hit the reset to set it as 0,0,0 machine coordinates (or anywhere you want to be the origin). It’s great for centering work, or running with the offline controllers. They only work in machine coordinates. I’ve been unable to get the offline controllers to work in work coordinates.

The reset on my woodpecker causes it to again home.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.