Glass engraving

Hi,
I am new to engraving and would really appreciate all the help i can get. My hobby is making drinking glasses out out of wine, beer, and spirit bottles and I’d like to personalise them by engraving on the glass. I have managed to engrave on both slate and wood (to a certain degree but that is my next project). When trying to engrave on glass using various speed and power nothing is working, can anyone please advise to an absolute beginner a step by step guide (which I call my idiots guide, but it works). I use Lightburn and have a Atomstack A5 20w laser
Thankful for all the advise anyone can give me.
Jayne
I

Unless it’s a UV or CO2 laser, it probably wont’ mark glass directly. Glass allows visible light, such as your lasers beam, to pass through it without any resistance.

This is because of the frequency of the lasers beam…

The only way to mark glass with your type of laser would be by an indirect method. Coat it with something dark, such as a black marker. When you heat that, the heat from the marker will damage the glass…

You can put glass on dark paper and mark the ‘back’ side, as it’s heating the paper and the heat from the paper is damaging the glass.

CO2 is probably the best for glass… There are some up and coming UV lasers.

You might be able to upgrade to a UV laser module…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

I have my best luck with black craft paint from walmart or the dollar store. It will leave a white frosted look.
I hear white will leave a black etch, but have not tried it.

If it leaves a black etch, it’s not the glass you’re seeing that turns black …

Sounds more like TiO2 that’s in the paint… more like the Norton Tile Method

Agreed. I have done it with cold galvanizing compound that leaves it black as well.
Still etches, but have never tried to get the black off. With a good scrubbing, just may well come off.

That’s it exactly.

Here’s some work I did for Eagles fans for Super Bowl Sunday

This is on the glass. Not etched into the glass

Hi, thanks x

Does that answer your question?

If so mark it solved…

We are here if you need us…

Take care and good luck

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.