Glassware engraving

I have recently started experimenting with engraving on glassware and I’m having trouble getting an even burn throughout the entire image. I’m running an atomstack A5 20w laser. I have been coating the glass with black tempra paint and the svg is of good quality but the engraving isn’t as crisp looking throughout as I would like. Any heplful suggestions.

I’ve seen where some people say to try black card stock, and place it under the glass measure your focal distance to the bottom of the glass and mirror whatever you’re trying to engrave. I’ve heard if you don’t get an even coat of the Tempra paint you will have results like you are getting.

It’s an ‘indirect’ way to engrave glass… You have to heat up the ‘tempra’ and that cracks/shatters the glass…

Same with a dark card stock, but the laser passes through the glass and heats the card, shattering the glass… Very difficult to lines as fine as the laser normally does…

Make sure you use a good abrasive (I’ve used steel wool) to ensure all the glass is removed. You are shattering the glass and it will leave shards and broken ‘points’ that will end up in someone finger…

Would you want to do this on the inside of the glass?

Good luck

:smile_cat: