Glencairn glass engraving

I had some success recently engraving Glencairn glasses with my Orator Laser Master 2 with the rotary attachment.

The first problem to overcome was the unusual shape of the glass. To address this, I made some discs that were slightly larger than the widest circumference of the glass. I then made a small depression in the discs that was the same size as the base of the glass. I also made a ring with the same circumference as the disc, and with inside circumference of ring slightly larger than the size of the upper part of the glass. A CNC was a big help here.

I hot glue the base disc to the bottom of the glass (double stick tape proved insufficient), and a simple friction fit of the top ring was sufficient.

This allows the glass to rotate predicably, but limits the design to widest part of the glass–good for a line of text like a name, or logo.

First couple of tests worked well, but some production runs ran into a new problem-my initial runs with the first couple of names ended up cracking the glass–my theory was that the font was too big, and the power was set too high. Broke 3 more glasses and ruined one with a setting that was too low before I found that for this application, 60% power and 1000mm/min, PLUS air assist, seems to be the sweet spot. A picture of the set up below. Had a successful run of 10 glasses today.

2 Likes

What type of paint are you using in the above photo and do you possibly have a pic of a finished glass?

Hello

The paint is Cold Galvanizing compound, usually available from Home Depot for about 8 bucks or so. There have been supply issues lately where it’s not there, or much more than that–but for now, it’s back to normal. This stuff seems to work the best–have definitely found that not all methods out there work equally well on all types of glass. Black Tempura paint worked well on a test spaghetti jar, but not the actual glass I wanted to use.

Attaching a couple examples of the finished product.

2 Likes