Global MIN/MAX vs Cut/Layers MIN/MAX settings?

I started to reply to another thread, but thought this might be better asked in a new thread.

I don’t fully understand the difference between Gcode vs RUIDA when it comes to how the information is sent to the machines, so if I ask something stupid please forgive me.

I know that for my previous laser (xTool D1) I used the Gcode license and had no control over the MIN settings. Does this mean that when we upgrade to a CO2 that we don’t need the min power? Is it only a Gcode vs RUIDA thing? I’m asking because I used to have a Gcode diode laser and just changed to a K40 until I have the money for one of the better CO2’s. I can run the K40 with my current LB license, so I’m guessing that this new motherboard uses Gcode for output.

I was hoping that there was a spot in device settings to make a min/max power setting according to the milliamps drawn as well as changes to the surface being engraved. What I mean is that I was hoping to find a spot where I could make adjustments globally (set max power to the laser as say 20%, with min as 5%) and then set the layers as a 0-100%. Unfortunately I haven’t found anything in devices settings so I’m not sure if there is anything available in LB yet for what I was hoping to do. And I don’t have MIN settings available in cut/layers either, so I’m not sure where to look for it.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.

I’ll try and make it simple.

The Ruida and some other are called DSP controllers because of the type of hardware they implement the controller with.

The Ruida hardware knows when it’s slowing down the ‘head’ so it reduces power. This is based on head speed. This prevents over burning when the head changes speed.

Grbl doesn’t have this feature that I know of. The only place you have that option is when you engrave with an image.

Where the Ruida hardware does it, the grbl need to have codes sent to it for each variation in laser intensity or power. Lightburn will generate a large amount of gcode to drive the grbl laser for an image variations in power.

The Ruida also stores all the code on board and computes the overscan before it runs. Grbl ‘buffers’ a few lines of code at a time, so it’s a serial feed that can become disconnected mid run…

Grbl controllers are getting much more powerful, so it might be done in the future…

If it’s an available option, lightburn allows you to use it…

Make sense? If not ‘speak’ :crazy_face:

Good luck

:smile_cat:

That helps a lot.

I’m sure making the code I referred to might be easy in comparison to other stuff, but would it be possible? It would be nice to set power level thresholds and then use cuts/layers to decide how dark/deep you want an engraving. Like, ok my laser “turns on” at 5%, so I’ll set my 0% power level at 4.9% and then my milliamp meter says max current is at 21% so I’ll set 100% power at 20.9% laser tube power.

That would be useful for diodes as well since the one I had wouldn’t do anything to my material below 20% laser power no matter what the substrate was (except paper maybe).

I doubt you’ll find a hv excited co2 laser that will lase at 5%. With an LED laser you might want a 0 value but I’ve never used it for a co2.

You can actually damage a co2 hv excited laser with too low of a power setting. When it first starts to laser it will draw low current and isn’t resonating properly.

You want to set the lowest ‘power’ which translates to the lowest pwm that will allow your laser to lase consistently.

I believe that you should set your lps to the 100% current. I set it at 50% since it takes time to ‘fiddle’ with the lps. It will run 21mA at 100%

The reasoning is pretty simple… when your led or my hv or an rf excited laser fires, it is ‘lasing’ at 100% power.

Laser ‘power’ is really power/time or an average based on the ‘on’ time or period of the pwm.

I think it’s wise to limit the available current from the lps to not overdrive the tube when it lases.

Yeah there’s 3 places to limit- the lps itself is best, and if you don’t have a potentiometer adjustment, I’d recommend getting one. So, if you’ve got a W6 and the mfg recommends 26mA, you can set 100% power to make 26mA. Then you don’t need to set a limit in Ruida.

Then the Ruida Machine config has max-min, and the Layer Max-Min. The Machine Max affects the continuous Pulse button’s firing. The Layer Max-Min then go into that scale. i.e. if the Machine Max is 70% Min 15%, then the Layer setting Max 100% Min 0% means the actual PWM to the tube sees will go from 70% to 15%. If the Layer is Max 50%, then the PWM is 42.5%, halfway from 70% to 15%.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’d like to know if I missed something.

If you DO have a potentiometer on the lps, you can adjust it to the target current there and use Machine Max=100%.

If you DON’T have a potentiometer, and like 100% power makes 38mA whereas the mfg recommends 26mA, you’d lower the Machine Max and Fire-Continuous-Pulse until you see 26mA on the meter. So you might have like Machine Max as 60%. Min is a bit foggier what you might ultimately want.

This enforces the limit in the lps, or machine config. With either of these methods users can enter anything- including Layer Max 100%- in the Layers setting and it won’t overcurrent the tube.

When anyones laser lases it gets 100% power from it’s supply.

My tube is 44watts with a current limit of 21mA. The stock lps that came with my machine is a 60 watt…

The lps at 50% pwm continuous pulse drew around 15mA. Indicating at or near 30mA capability.

When the pwm goes ‘active’ or ‘on’ and my 44watt tube ‘lases’, it will draw the 30mA available to it. The controller nothing to do with this.

30mA is almost 1.5 times it’s allowable current limit.

IMHO, you must adjust the lps to limit current.

Make sense?

I think there is an advantage to a ‘larger’ supply in that it will respond quicker since it doesn’t need to reach the ‘higher’ voltages for the larger tube. Hence a quicker response.

Do you have any clue what the responce time of your rf machine is (you bum… :crazy_face: )

I’m going to try lasing a photo transistor and see if I can put together anything useful…

It is interesting about manual entry at the console… I’ll have to run a couple of test to see if my theory holds.

:smiley_cat:

I have more to say on that. On common DC-excited tubes, the fastest you can get the tube to respond is 500Hz. A pulse width below 1ms will not reach full power, and also does not decay instantly. A 0.5mS pulse on a 100W laser would actually peak at something like 50W during that pulse, whereas a >2ms would have time to reach 100W and plateau there.

RF are another beast. Ramp-up ramp-down time is more like 10us, so they will pulse in tens of KHz. That is, the actual laser output does go on and off that fast.

A pulse’s linear width has to be wider than the spot size for it to start to create a constant burn in the middle of the pulse to look for. Within the gradient area, a slow response in power just means the net burn depth or color change is less than expected as power is ramping up, and doesn’t achieve full power during that pulse so it just appears as a nonlinearity.

A machine doing 1500mm/s raster with a 0.2mm spot size means the spot’s width is 133us of machine time. A DC-excited will still be ramping up and will not achieve full power, then also decay after the PWM goes low, but it was a gradient anyways, so it mostly just appears lower power than the % duty. The RF-excited responds with full power well within 133us, but it’s still going to be a gradient because that’s how spots burn when in motion.

“It’s complicated”. The 1ms response time of DC-excited, that includes whatever time the lps needs to ramp up the hv electrical current to it, and/or the time the tube needs to produce output power once it has current. I don’t have the gear needed to measure this, I need a HV scope probe and would have to get a spot on the insulated anode lead to grab onto. But I’m pretty sure the majority of the delay is in the lps. The lps lists the “<1ms response time” as a supply feature, and rectified HV flybacks can’t respond quickly so this is expected.

So if your lps delivers 30mA at 100% but the tube is rated for 21mA max, IF your Max Power is 70% and PWM is set >> faster than 500Hz (typically we use 10KHz), the tube current won’t ever reach 30mA (assuming the lps current itself is the response limit) and should only reach 21mA. This seems more problematic though as we’re relying on the delays in response to modulate the power, and that response isn’t well specified. So I favor an analog potentiometer to set the current and leave machine Max Power at 100%

1 Like

Sounds like what I wanted to do is already built into the ruida controllers. I’m not sure which tube I have, just haven’t looked yet, beyond making sure that it was firing while I was doing the alignment of the mirrors. I don’t have a working oscilloscope to be able to measure any kind of duty cycle output of the power supply, let alone the waveform. Sadly I have a more important problem that just presented itself today while trying to do a power scale test card, I’ll post separately about it if I’m unable to find any info on it.

Thanks for the help guys

1 Like

The lps I’ve seen state <=1mS, I’d be surprised if many make the 1mS.

If you take the speed of 1500mm/s which is about 60 inches/s and you wish to put down 256 dpi.

60 x 254 or 15,240 dots in a second. An lps that does 1mS

In 1 second I can put down 1000 dots.

1s / 1000 best possible, you’re attempting 1s / 15,240… you are running over 15 times faster than the supply can possible respond.

Might work great on an rf beast…

The same numbers at 100mm/s (close to 4inches/s) it would be 1s/1016 probably work at a substantially slower speed.

So if I’m running faster than the lps can respond what’s the lps actually doing?

If the laser isn’t firing completely coherent or resonating, it isn’t lasing it’s starting. If you have a 100 watt machine this seems to indicate it’s useless for anything but cutting since you couldn’t count on the power output.

I guess there is no control, just ball park, that’s sad :frowning:

Even watching the HV isn’t going to buy you much… you need to know when the tube fires… I watch my HV all the time when I run… sometimes I still wonder what it’s doing…

Russ Sadler made a video of the lps firing on a scope… it’s rather a complicated waveform.

@Dannym which area are you referencing?

Unfortunately I can’t find any ‘relation’ to time… don’t think I can explain all that’s going on here.

There’s two different effects here, they’d be different charts. I guess I need to find this RS video that this chart came from.

Response time (bandwidth) is mentioned in the Cloudray MYJG power supply specs: “Response Time <=1ms”. I do not know what the tube itself would do if you drove the tube’s high voltage high and low faster. Semiconductor tech has no switching transistor that can control 28KV, it has to control a flyback transformer. I don’t have a way to make a faster drive to try.

RF-CO2 has a response time of 90us.

Response time is “ok if I give the drive a high logic or low level, how long does it take the beam’s actual power to come out and reach 100% or go back to 0%?”

This requires some highly specialized equipment to measure, but we can do it with the laser. This exercise ALSO illustrates what the laser machine’s process actually needs.

Say you’ve got a 0.2mm spot size. When the laser is moving, this is making dashes. We’d have a hard time seeing if a dash actually turns on and off if the spatial period of the burn is less than 0.2mm, although it does show up. If we have a 1500mm/s laser doing rastering, then that spot size is a time period of 133us.

If you raster at 1500mm/s and have a 0.2mm (or 133us) wide black pixel with two white pixels on either size, then a 100W RF-CO2 output will ramp up to hit 100W in 90us, sustain 100W for 43us, then the Ruida’s command to fire stops, and it takes 90us for the output to decay to zero. Since this is symmetric and the ramp is basically a straight slope, the pulse has a net energy of 13.3mJ (a joule is a watt-second) which is exactly as commanded.

However, the pulse’s energy is lagging slightly, and unclear in the 90us ramp area- but again, this isn’t really apparent when it’s less than a spot size in spatial terms.

If there’s only one white pixel then another black one, the fire command to the supply goes low for 133us. But the beam output takes 90us to decay to zero, then there’s a 43us period where there’s no command and no output, then the command happens and ramping begins.

The ability to see this scales with raster speed, and spot size. If I start engraving aluminum and change to a 1" lens, that’s half the spot size and now we need a response twice as fast to be able to discern dashes at 1500mm/s

The DC-excited tube is 1ms on/off response, so no way can it make 0.2mm dashes at 1500mm/s=133us. It’s barely gotten into ramping up power before it’s commanded off, and then ramps down and won’t get to 0 power during the white pixel either, so white and black pixels are both basically grey of only slightly different shades.

Another way to see this: forget raster. The machine’s PWM applies all the time. So just make a line long enough for it to get to the specified speed (1500mm/s) in the middle. Set Power to 25% for that layer, and then add PWM Override=1KHz, a 1.5mm spatial period and 0.375 mm on-time/1.125mm off. The RF-CO2 is essentially instant on/off on this scale, you get clear dashes of 100% power.

The DC-excited tube’s output cannot go full on/off inside this period and instead makes a ~25% power output the whole time, with “bumps” of power going up and down with a 1.5mm spatial period. It’s just a weak burn line.

There’s two different effects here, they’d be different charts. I guess I need to find this RS video that this chart came from.

Response time (bandwidth) is mentioned in the Cloudray MYJG power supply specs: “Response Time <=1ms”. I do not know what the tube itself would do if you drove the tube’s high voltage high and low faster. Semiconductor tech has no switching transistor that can control 28KV, it has to control a flyback transformer. I don’t have a way to make a faster drive to try.

RF-CO2 has a response time of 90us.

Response time is “ok if I give the drive a high logic or low level, how long does it take the beam’s actual power to come out and reach 100% or go back to 0%?”

This requires some highly specialized equipment to measure, but we can do it with the laser. This exercise ALSO illustrates what the laser machine’s process actually needs.

Say you’ve got a 0.2mm spot size. When the laser is moving, this is making dashes. We’d have a hard time seeing if a dash actually turns on and off if the spatial period of the burn is less than 0.2mm, although it does show up. If we have a 1500mm/s laser doing rastering, then that spot size is a time period of 133us.

If you raster at 1500mm/s and have a 0.2mm (or 133us) wide black pixel with two white pixels on either size, then a 100W RF-CO2 output will ramp up to hit 100W in 90us, sustain 100W for 43us, then the Ruida’s command to fire stops, and it takes 90us for the output to decay to zero. Since this is symmetric and the ramp is basically a straight slope, the pulse has a net energy of 13.3mJ (a joule is a watt-second) which is exactly as commanded.

However, the pulse’s energy is lagging slightly, and unclear in the 90us ramp area- but again, this isn’t really apparent when it’s less than a spot size in spatial terms.

If there’s only one white pixel then another black one, the fire command to the supply goes low for 133us. But the beam output takes 90us to decay to zero, then there’s a 43us period where there’s no command and no output, then the command happens and ramping begins.

The ability to see this scales with raster speed, and spot size. If I start engraving aluminum and change to a 1" lens, that’s half the spot size and now we need a response twice as fast to be able to discern dashes at 1500mm/s

The DC-excited tube is 1ms on/off response, so no way can it make 0.2mm dashes at 1500mm/s=133us. It’s barely gotten into ramping up power before it’s commanded off, and then ramps down and won’t get to 0 power during the white pixel either, so white and black pixels are both basically grey of only slightly different shades.

Another way to see this: forget raster. The machine’s PWM applies all the time. So just make a line long enough for it to get to the specified speed (1500mm/s) in the middle. Set Power to 25% for that layer, and then add PWM Override=1KHz, a 1.5mm spatial period and 0.375 mm on-time/1.125mm off. The RF-CO2 is essentially instant on/off on this scale, you get clear dashes of 100% power.

The DC-excited tube’s output cannot go full on/off inside this period and instead makes a ~25% power output the whole time, with “bumps” of power going up and down with a 1.5mm spatial period. It’s just a weak burn line.

But a totally SECONDARY response graph is what happens at lesser power. Now, an RF tube is NOT complicated- if it has a 90us response and a linear rise/fall, it does that. A 100W tube at 50% duty 5.555KHz it will produce a sawtooth power output with an average power of 50% of 50W. And we can go to 5% duty and still get the same ramp up/down slopes. If instead we ask for 5% PWM at 20KHz, we get about 5% power on average. 5W on a 100W tube.

DC-excited is mighty unstable arc in this area. The tube actually drawing current (like a current meter on an oscilloscope), the tube’s side glow, and actual lasing are different things.

At 20% PWM 20KHz, the DC-excited tube is 17% average power output (I have a great Coherent meter!). At 10% PWM, it’s basically no output. So, you’re like, I can still get 5% output somewhere by finding the sweet spot, right? Not really. The DC tube’s really inconsistent, you might use 12.7% PWM and get 5% power at one moment, then find the tube output can also get stuck at 0% on this duty- or could leap to 10% power. Without a feedback circuit that senses laser output, we just can’t keep it stable in this range.

To be more colloquial, this is like having a manual transmission- and you’re not allowed to use the clutch. You want to go slow. 10mph, sure. But can you creep at 1 mph? Once we start turning the engine below 1000 rpm, it’s really shaky and can die easily. There’s nothing you can do with the throttle or brake to get a predictable power output at 300rpm- it might die, it might surge to a clean 1000 rpm, it might bounce around from 200rpm to 600rpm and shake the car, but you can’t keep it stable at 300 rpm. So it can’t creep at 1mph. But an EV can.

Sorry for the long-windedness, I’m thinking through this myself, and thinking how I might script a video explaining it, so I’m going through all the thoughts. Bottom line on the second point, a 100W DC-excited tube can scale from 100W to about 15W… then it’s sort of an exponential decay to 0W with only a small change in duty, and it’s so unstable and unpredictable we can’t use it. You could in theory find that 10.3% duty produces 5W one moment, but unstable- the next moment it could produce 10W or 0W.

I can’t comprehend how this would work in a digital environment.

Not to mention we have some form of ‘real’ power control.?

Never was an argument about if the rf was more complicated.

Even though you say ‘not anymore complicated’, the price tag doesn’t agree… :crazy_face:

The DC-excited LPS is more complicated to control, as the 0%-~10% power band is unusable. And being 100x faster on modulating output is always a good thing.

The trapezoidal/“sawtooth” ramping is at least well specified with RF. DC-excited is… well, no one’s even tried to test it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.