GRBL Controller - Inconsistant speed on image engrave

Hey!
Im just learning LightBurn and am using the trial to test out my new diode laser I have attached to my GRBL CNC machine. Im running a photo engrave at 2500mm/min (changed the default speed from mm/sec) at 100% power at 350DPI. I can see that the stepper motors arn’t running at the consistant speed of 2500mm/min, it is stuttery in some parts of the image. From doing a bit of research, I’ve come to the conclusion that my GRBL controller can’t keep up with the amount of instructions being sent and therefore slows down/reduces power to catch up. Where there should be a smooth gradient in the image, the laser burn is inconsistent and jittery. Am i expecting too much of my GRBL controller?

This is thr GRBL controller I have : https://www.3dtek.xyz/2019/02/14/grbl-aio-configuration/
The store told me
“The 8-bit ATmega328P on the Arduino boards runs at 16MHz – that’s 16 million cycles per second.”
Looks like that’s the same chip thats on the Eleksmaker.

What kind of max speed/DPI should I be expecting out of this card. On another forum post, they said 8-bit GRBL controllers only handle about 400 instructions per second. How can I calculate the maximum Speed vs DPI I can have? And also if I was to upgrade to a higher performance card, what should I be looking at, keeping in mind I do CNC routing as well as Laser on the same machine.
Cheers,
Josh

It’s also 1/6th clock speed and 1/4 of the data word width of a smoothie board or the same processor used on most laser diode systems (Ortur, NEJE, etc).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.