GRBL vs GRBL-LPC

Greetings,
I am running a Mac M1 Ultra Studio and have a question regarding the LightBurn Software. I am still using the trial as the laser is a new addition. After spending countless hours of connection issues with “port not available” and trying all the solutions available on the forums I stumbled across a solution…I think.
Info: Falcon 2 22w Laser Engraver, Updated Firmware, and connected via USB with a functioning cable (tested)
The lbdev file Creality provided would not work. I tried to find my laser and LightBurn found the laser at the correct usb port, but it was showing as GRBL-LPC not the GRBL that the lbdev file had.
I ran a few simple test (basic Fill/Lines on basswood, and card stock) and it seems to work.
Is there a disadvantage or limiting issue I will have running on GRBL-LPC? I am using this in a photography business for engraving images for clients on various items and would hate to get all comfortable and happy to find out I cannot do something or reduce quality due to a “hack” that I thought was acceptable.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
P

Found this. Depends on your controller board.
Grbl, Grbl-LPC is for the 32bit boards.

Not all 32-bit boards but a very specific 32-bit board with controllers made by NXP. I’ve not actually seen anyone in this forum actually using an LPC board running GRBL. These typically will run Smoothieware.

@PMJ2376, you definitely want to be running “GRBL” and not any other variant. GRBL is typically the most current and has the most latest updates.

1 Like

I’ll keep trying but the only way the laser will connect to LightBurn is that way, if I switch it up to GRBL it just says the port failed to open message.
I appreciate the help, thank you again.

That’s surprising. Are you using the same port? And are the Device Settings the same? Specifically baud rate and “DTR signal”.

Yes, same port, Same Baud Rate and DTR. Very odd.

Are you comparing the .lbdev created device vs the detected device? Or have you tried changing the detected device from GRBL-LPC to GRBL?

If you haven’t tried the latter, try it by pushing Devices button in Laser window, then selecting your laser, then Edit. Then select GRBL and leave other settings the same.

Hi
Yes the device find function is what found it as a GRBL-LPC, and would not function if I edited it to a GRBL. I have since yesterday been able to come up with a solution to enable it to function in GRBL mode.
I edited ldev file Creality provided and removed the assigned port 3 and switched it to the one my set up uses. This works so far and if anything changes I will update.
Thank you all for the information and help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.