GSI laser tube or Reci laser tube 80 watt

Is there that much of a difference between these two laser tubes besides price is the GSI tube good?

Nobody uses GSI laser tubes.

Some of the GSI I think are refillable. When I went through the exercise of looking for a tube for my DIY laser it came down to RECI and EFR. I ultimately went with RECI, mostly because it was easier to get.

GSI make a huge range of units. Which one in particular were you looking at?

Regardless, they are much more expensive than Reci, despite Reci being probably the best glass tube available.

I have used Reci for years and will continue to do so - thereā€™s always a spare new W4 and W6 in my workshop, for customer machines.

My tube that I have now is 80 watt 1250 mm long and 80 mm diameter.

The same size as the Reci W2 - ~100W, they rate it at 90W for sales blurb.

I have one tested at 117W.

What about GSI are they good tubes?

Theyā€™re one of the worlds largest manufacturers. I would think they make some excellent tubes and some so-so ones, depending on market.

Thatā€™s a question a bit like ā€˜are GM good?ā€™ - Which one were you considering?

It sounds like you already have decided and are looking for confirmation of your choice.

Me, I wouldnā€™t.

Get a Reci, an EFR or an SPT. They are all excellent tubes.

The Reci will run you twice the cost of an equivalent SPT, but will last longer and give a better result. I wouldnā€™t go lesser than an SPT. If you want to be one of the cool kids, get the EFR with built-in red dot.

@olddogTim Are you talking about this tube from GSI that LightObject is selling?

https://www.lightobject.com/Laser-Tubes/High-Quality-GSI-130W-CO2-Sealed-Laser-Tube

It does appear to be much cheaper than a RECI tube. Not sure if it is a new bargain version GSI is making or not.

GSI looks like itā€™s been sold to China. The company advertising those tubes as theirs was formed in 2016.

JK Laser (GSI) was formed in the 70s or 80s and typically sell $5000+ tubes.

Looks like they are GSI in name only. The good stuff was sold to SPI, who are now owned by Trumpf. You wonā€™t get a UK-made tube for US$600, so I can only surmise they are made by Honour Optical in Beijing.

Canā€™t comment on the quality, but why would you go with an unknown? Lightobject have a wide, but not eclectic, range.

1 Like

I have been doing some research and decided on Reci, when I do order.

If I wasnā€™t doing this for a job and needed the long-life and robustness of Reci, I would buy EFR. They are AS good, but significantly cheaper.

If you donā€™t mind waiting, you can buy from a guy on Aliexpress that ships internationally and sells genuine, new EFR at good prices.

The difference - 8,000 hours vs 10,000 hours run time. Unless youā€™re burning 6 hours a day, often the machine would be replaced with a new model before that time.

1 Like

I just got the 80w version of the GSI linked above to replace a 4 year old RECI w2 that was going out. I got it purely out of curiosity and so far I am very impressed with the quality. I just installed it last night but so far the power seems much more intense at lower ma than my RECI ever was. But who knows if it will last 4 years as my RECI did. Iā€™m curious how it progresses but so far I am pleased with the gamble.

Just when I thought I had my mind made up. In the pictures on LightObject it LOOKS like a good tube.

Based on my experience with RECI I would recommend it. Thereā€™s no gamble there and the stand up well.

I just ordered a Reci 80 watt w-2 . I decided on Reci because the GSI tube has a triggering voltage of 25 KV and operating voltage of 22 KV. Reci has a triggering voltage of 24 KV and operating voltage of 18 KV. I figured the Reci would be less taxing on my power supply, so I went with Reci!

The RECI W2 is a great choice, you wont be disappointed.

I meanā€¦ thereā€™s always the choice of an RF (metal) Laser. :innocent:

Sure even a ā€œcheapā€ RF 100w Laser is $8,000, but it ā€œlasts 5 times longerā€.

(Iā€™ll just buy 5 glass tubes and a couple of 5200 chillers over that amount of time and still be way ahead).

But I do love RF lasers for some strange reason. My friend has one in his Epilog.

:crazy_face:

ā€¢Ali express RF Laser Linkā€¢

I just cannot believe how prices on glass tubes have come down SO MUCH! It makes me want to go overboard and buy another machine with a 200+ watt Yongli tube.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.