Gweike G2 and does it work?

Hi everyone.

I am looking at a 20w Gweike G2.

Does this work with Lightburn, as I don’t want to be trapped in the living Hell of only proprietor’s software.

No problem with their own stuff, but I have memory problems and learning new software is NOT a simple task!!

In their faq, response of can I run Lightburn, is Currently no.

Most of these companies are very tight lipped about how the interface/control codes actually work… Since they generally will not tell western countries any technology, this means vaporware… If they don’t supply the information to Lightburn, they have to reverse engineer it…

So if it says currently anywhere, take that as a probable not in your lifetime.

It states many places it’s an industrial grade machine… was a good chuckle.

These are about $1500 if you get them through the kickstarter program, but they state it will be $2500 when it’s released to the public.

There is also about $500 worth of accessories, if you buy them, excluding the other lens.

Some of the answers are questionable. They claim a coverage of

G2’s max engraving area is 110mmX110mm and 150mmX150mm

They have two lenses, but it seems that the upgrade to that larger area lens, includes a motorized Z axes button and appears to add a chunk of change to the price.

They make no mention of purchasing another lens… Each lens with a fiber has to be calibrated for a flat field… These calibration numbers change for each lens… I’ve had to do this with 3 lenses.

Resolution is also very deceptive.

They claim up to 8k resolution. The problem here is this means ~8k pixels along the X axes. Hard to deal with since a pixel has no unit or size relation.

If I figure the 8k value for 100mm size, you have 800 dots in 1mm (8000/10)

To do this you’d have to have a kerf of 1mm/800 or an interval of 0.00125mm, which is 1.25um.

To use this, the laser has to be able to produce, at minimum, dot size or kerf of at least the interval. Assuming a fiber source output of 7mm the spot size or focal point will be 0.0569mm. About 45 times larger than needed for an 8k resolution at 100mm size. I have doubts about this claim.

It looks like, if you don’t buy it today and get nothing with it, introductory cost is about $1500. The list price is $2495 from the Gweike site, except if you want the other lens, then it’s list is about $3495.

Also, there is no ventilation… This is required as it is removing material. This is a brass coin from Amazon. You can see the brass debris trail to the ventilation on mine.

An investment of this should be compared to this Raycus (same source as the G2) but 30W is available for $3300 from Cloud Ray. This also includes a D80 rotary.

Lenses for these are about $60 each and there are a number of them.

The handheld option is pretty useless from many video. Might work ok if gravity hold it, but hand holding a laser will be a crap shoot to keep it in exactly the same place.

Although the link doesn’t say Lightburn compatible, it is being used with EZCad2, which seems to be what makes it Lightburn compatible. I’d ensure this is true via your vendor.

All in all, I think it isn’t industrial and if it goes back to the list prices, you’d be much better off purchasing one of the better units from the link.

Also, many people with these don’t get the kind of color results they show… even when asked for the source, they didn’t get very much actual oxidizing or annealing it for color.

In a nutshell, I’d advise against it, but the bottom line is how deep are your pockets… ?

Good luck

:smile_cat:

That is just the sort of advice I need, thank you.
I don’t have deep pockets, but I will be saving for one of the better machines, I will be attempting not to be bitten again!

Update!!!

I have had a reply!

They want to charge me $375 to return a faulty unit!
From a $1956 original purchase cost!!

Crikey!!

I agree, if what I think that means…

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.