Have issues with X-axis (long one), mechanic issue at my doorstep?

Good morning,

so I have this issue with one of my Y-axis I think but I’m running out of ideas on where to look now. I’ve missed some bolts?
I should say that the engraved grid isn’t ‘aligned’ so it shouldn’t in no way follow them really, in this case I just took a 100x100mm square and burned, and then a 70x70mm, then a 50x50mm and final 30x300mm. You can see that it ends up not too good :slight_smile:

As you can see below on the picture, it keeps messing up one axis, right?

As you can see on this cutout, that have been working before… you can see that on most (not all), it keeps slipping up.
I’m sure there are some really experienced ortur-masters here, anyone have a bright idea on where I can look? I mean it shouldn’t be that hard even tho there are a few bults around :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t considered this to be software but I wouldn’t imagine it’s that, right?

Not sure if I’m answering my own question now; I’ll try this once I get home but my slide is not even moving if I stand it up 90 degrees tilt. And I never thought it could be the wheels? One wheel I know is VERY firm, while the other one next to it is barely touching. So perhaps that might have something to do with the issue.

Not sure, but I guess it needs to be looked at atleast.

Pic taken from this YouTube vid.

Mechanical problem for sure. In addition to what you have already checked and what has already been advised, have you confirmed that the stepper motor pulleys are properly tightened?

1 Like

Now when you mention it, I did check two of them but on the other side I’ve not. I’ll write it down on the to-do-list once I get home.

So:

• Control check - Stepper motor pulleys (that’s those 4 right? 2 on each side (each corner) - correct?
  • Reel wheels to be properly tightened/lossened so all wheels roll on the reels.

EDIT: This is the stepper motor pulleys right?
It was actually loose from factory but I’ve not looked at the other three. I’ll do that once I get home.

The rollers should NOT be loose enough to turn without resistance. I have mine set so that when I turn a wheel by hand, it drags the axis along the rail with it. Fairly tight. My axes still fall freely when tilted at 45 degrees.

Consider how easy it is to push yourself around on roller skates. Hard wheels riding on bearings and a hard surface. Same principle. The fact that those couple skate wheels have 100 kilos on them makes little difference in the resistance.

If the BELTS are rubbing against ANYTHING other than the pulley teeth, including the flanges on the sides of the pulleys, that could potentially cause a problem.

Also may want to check that the frame rails are all square to one another. If there is any taper or skewing, that could also be a problem.

1 Like

(see markup below). I’m not familiar with Ortur machines or where this is on it, but that pulley placement looks wrong to me. There’s plenty of room to go “down” and the belt shouldn’t be rubbing that red block. You can already see a burnished area on the near side of the belt from the rubbing. Before too awfully long it wear thru to the reinforcing cords and start to hitch. After that, it may snag hard and eventually bind up or break.

That’s not to say they didn’t overlook something while designing it and it’s assembled per their instruction, but I’d look for a way to remove that interference if possible. You’d want to see what else is on that belt loop and adjust all points of contact so it tracks straight, smooth, and effortless. Good practice for all the belts, really, but I tend to take details like that a bit further than necessary.

I believe @gilaraujo is extremely familiar with their machines. I wouldn’t mind his opinion on that.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with you, the belt looks out of his correct place.
I am not a Ortur guy too but it looks odd to me too.

Anytime a belt is touching something like this, it is or is going to be a problem.

I’d ask the person who probably knows…Gil @OrturTech

:smile_cat:

Sorry I was being unclear here in my post :slight_smile:

This is a old photo when I ran into a similiar issue ~1.5 months ago. Also why I’m pretty certain, 99.99% this is mechanical and some darn bult, tension, pulleye or something that is pulling me a prank :slight_smile:

So this has been fixed and it got all good, but now acting up again ~1.5 months later, hehe. But this time it’s not that part, however; I will remove covers from the other 3 places and take a look now when I get home shortly.

Good to know that part is fixed anyway.

Things do work loose and wear out. A couple months of use is more than enough to warrant a thorough inspection if performance has fallen off.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.