HELP Lightburn DOES NOT Preview and show raster images of imported ai/svg files

Please Help
I can’t find a way to view the raster image preview of a file in Lightburn or Laserworks.I will be importing files from Adobe Illustrator which saves as ai and svg.

My FS Laser died and so I bought a Boss Laser LS2440 - Beautiful!
And I was so eager to use the hailed software LightBurn or LaserWorks fro Ruida.

But I am at a loss.

I import the ai file (in svg format as an alternativbe) and all I see is vector lines

Below find a picture of one of the LED lights I make out of acrylic.
A picture of the light shows that certain areas are etched makingf them frosted white. Whiute areas of the art remain clear transparent.

Can anyone help?

It will be a nightmare to reconstruct the ai file with layer upon layer in lightburn

Any thoughts?
Am I better with Corel Draw.

Dan Stein
abriteguy@aol.com

FDNYPpreviewinLightburn
FDNY Preview in Lightburn as vectors

I don’t think so. They both should work comparably.

I’m not familiar with FS Laser but does it use a printer driver workflow similar to Epilog? If so, you may have to make a change in approach.

It’s not exactly clear to me what you’re looking for here. Can you elaborate? From what I see of your design, you have no raster components in the design.

LightBurn allows you to burn either vector or raster graphics. Since you only have vector components it will burn using line and fill modes as requested.

A few things I’m not sure if you’re familiar with. Overlapping areas of two shapes in fill mode will become negative space. Also, this only applies to shapes on the same layer. Shapes across layers will simply burn on top of one another. That’s what it looks like some of things are doing here.

Alternatively, you could rasterize the image in AI and then bring into LightBurn to burn as a raster image.

Additionally, if you’d like to see more of a live view of the design with filled areas you can use one of the Filled View Styles in Window menu.

1 Like

If you were using Retina software for FSL, it allowed you to import AI files that contained vector stroke widths, and you are asked on import if you want vector and or raster. LB doesn’t work that way. LB does not maintain stroke widths when importing any files. An easy fix would be to export a PNG or JPEG of everything that you want to raster from Illustrator. Then place raster PNG/JPEG in a new file, and also place your vector perimeter around it. Then export an SVG to import into LB. The best fix would be to outline all of your strokes, and then use the pathfinder command in AI to connect all of the lines that cross each other.

1 Like

You SOLVED my issue
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Dan Stein

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.