Help Needed: Homing Issue and Unusual Noise on 80W CO2 Laser Machine - Seeking Solutions

Introduction

I recently acquired a second-hand CO2 laser machine of Chinese manufacture. This machine is equipped with an 80-watt laser tube and has a cutting area of 70x50 cm. It comes with an RDC6442S-B(EC) controller and also features a motorized leveling system, though the motors are not stepper motors.

https://www.usinages.com/attachments/1-6-jpg.847732/

https://www.usinages.com/attachments/1-1-jpg.847737/

Encountered Problem

I am contacting you today because I am encountering a problem with my laser machine. While attempting to initiate a cut via LightBurn, an error message appeared on the machine’s control screen indicating there was insufficient space on the cutting bed.

This is not the first time I have faced this issue. Usually, when this error appears, I restart the machine. However, after attempting this solution, the machine starts behaving strangely: it no longer performs its homing process, the axes jerk, and it makes a loud noise, as if the machine is straining during movements, with a distinctly loud sound. This issue consistently occurs after the error message is displayed, but otherwise, the machine works well.

Attempted Solutions

In the past, restarting the machine by unplugging its power supply solved the problem, and I was able to reuse the laser machine without any trouble. Unfortunately, even after several days and attempts, this no longer changes anything: it refuses to perform the homing process.

I would be very grateful for any assistance you could provide to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Best regards,

Perhaps:

• The linear bearings along both axes are full of crud
  • The belts are damaged / worn out

With the power off, move the laser head by hand over the entire platform. It should move smoothly without sudden resistance or abrupt jerks. If you find regions with more (or less!) resistance, cleaning & lubricating the linear bearings may help.

Similarly, belts wear out. Carefully examine the entire length of all the belts to find missing or misshapen teeth; you can compare what you find with the unused belt near its anchors.

That’s generally caused by putting the pattern too close to one side or the other, so that the overscan region during engraving would extend over the edge.

It can also be caused by incorrect homing when the machine starts up, which in your case could happen due to the mechanical problems. Let’s find out what’s wrong with the hardware before digging into this one.