Help totally new to this

Not sure which program you’re talking about. If the board is loaded with grbl, then LightBurn can talk to it - you don’t need any other program.

You should use grbl 1.1f - if it’s not the version you have, upgrade to that

It might need a driver to talk to LightBurn. It’ll usually be an FDTI driver, but if it’s an Arduino clone, it might be using the cheaper CH340.

The FTDI driver can be installed with LightBurn at the end. The CH340 drivers are here: https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html

(both of these are chips that handle USB to serial communication with small microcontrollers - these chips and drivers are how the micro’s talk to your PC)

Ok, like I said need a “for dummies “ version because I have no idea what those programs are. I tried using lightburn but it doesn’t show the device.

It seems that this may be a loss as I still do not understand where to start or what to use first.

I find Google helpful when wanting to learn something I have a desire to know. This is why these things are called DIY lasers. You have to do most of this learning “yourself”. We are here to help but you will also have some homework to be effective and have the journey of lasering be enjoyable.

As Oz said, you may need to install another piece of software known as a “driver”. This is similar to installing a new print driver when you get a new printer.

Connection issues…I had the inverse problem. The “laser” window in Lightburn was able to find and propagate my USB device on my Windows 10 64bit (also updated GRBL on Windows) but could not connect to my Mac book…loading the CH340 drivers (https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html) per "Oz’s " post for the Mac drivers and restarting allowed a connection to my Mac…go to the URL in Oz’s post and scroll down to your OS…on my mac that loaded the driver automatically in the correct library…the driver is the basic set of instructions to allow your GRBL clone to talk to Lightburn…sort of like ignoring your wife’s instructions to turn left when you “know” you need to turn right…without the proper driver, one side is speaking in sign language and the other in Braille…the bottom of the “laser” window in Lightburn should show a "devices’ box followed by details of the connection (xxxxxusb) followed by the “GRBL” variant which will converse with the Lightburn software via the “driver” a.k.a. handshake protocol…if this connection does not happen via the “automatic polling application” window that will search for you laser…close that automatic window and add parameters…watch the install video on the Lightburn website…that should clear the cobwebs…search for “GRBL” on Dogpile.com and flash the latest update software for your GRBL clone…that site offered decent instructions on how to update.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.